CYA/Chlorine and pool heater

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
Hello All. Had my pool re plastered in the first part of May. At that time I decided to use a pool service to keep up my chemicals. Turns out they use pucks and liquid chlorine. Only being serviced once a week I started keeping track of CL and PH and saw wild swings in both during the week. I got rid of the pool service a week ago and will be doing my own service from now on using the TFP method. Got a TF100 kit and took some readings today:

PH 7.5
FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
CH 450
TA 70
CYA 58

According to the CYA/Chlorine chart, my CL target should be a little under 5. The manual for my brand new Raypac 407A states that the CL level should not exceed 5 or damage could result to the heater.

Given this, what should my target CL be? I do not have a SWG.

Chlorine at that level will not harm your heater. I suppose issues could eventually arise with high levels of chlorine with no stabilizer (CYA).

What can and WILL do far more damage to the heater is having a prolonged low pH. Copper is susceptible to erosion at pH levels below 7.

I too am in Riverside

The chlorine levels in the Chlorine / CYA Chart "Minimum FC" column have the same active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level as 0.06 ppm FC with no CYA. The "Shock FC" column has the same active chlorine level as 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA. So these are far below the 5 ppm FC which the heater manufacturer specifies since they include pools with no CYA. So you need not worry about chlorine affecting your heater in a pool with CYA in it. As noted in the previous post, low pH is the most damaging to copper heat exchangers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.