georgiadawg

Jul 15, 2014
Eastanollee GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi!! So glad I bookmarked this site from last year. Okay, so this is my second year with a pool. We went to a bigger size of the type we had last year (frame/vinyl seasonal pool). Now we have 22 x 52. Setting up pool this week. Got salt in, and working on FC level, etc. I have a couple of questions for clarification:

1) Do I go ahead and put the recommended amount of CYA (from the pool math calculator) in NOW? Or do I wait until I get the FC to the right level and then add CYA to keep it there?

2) Also, as far as the FC level, do I adjust now and THEN turn on the SWS? Or do I turn on the SWS and wait for it to get to the proper level?

Thanks!

Welcome back Lisa! Yes - put the CYA is right away. As you may recall, it takes a few days to show-up on the tests (if you do the granule method). As you noted, the Poolmath calculator will certainly help.

Until your CYA starts to build an protect your chlorine, go moderately with bleach additions - perhaps just a 1/2 gallon each evening for now. Without CYA it will get lost by the sun anyways. I see no reason why you can't turn-on the SWG, but it may take a short period before it's producing the amount of FC required, so some bleach may be helpful to assist. from their you can begin to back-off the bleach and allow the SWG to handle the full load.

No. I didn't remember that about the CYA. I'm so glad you said that. Never even occurred to me.

Now, clarification about the SWG and FC: As it was, I only had half of the recommended amount of bleach anyway, so I went ahead and put that in. So, do I need to hold off on adding anymore until the SWG has been running a few days? Then test again? Or do I go ahead and bring the FC to recommended amount now? That's what I'm confused on. I'm not sure I'm making myself clear. When getting to the target FC when first filling pool....if I get it to the target level with bleach, will the SWS create MORE FC and raise it? Or will it maintain what is there? What do I go by to use to set the running time? For example, in the SWS manual, is the recommended running time based on starting with FC of 0-1 from fresh fill? So, say it says to run SWS for 6 hours daily for my pool size, will that make my FC too high if I get it to the right level now?

I hope I'm explaining my question clearly. Thanks!

Lets see some test results.

Keep in mind

- your CYA that you add will not show up on a test for 5-10 days
- salt system will not generate chlorine until your water temp is above 65°
- let your salt mix with your water for 24hr run time prior to turning on and calibrating your cell

That being said, I would start out adjusting with bleach to bring yourself up to where you want to be and maintain.

Good luck and happy swimming.

I understand. You are explaining very well. Rather than re-type everything though, HERE is a great article on SWG start-up and FC levels. This should help. If it doesn't address everything to your satisfaction, please let me know. We want to ensure you are all set. Thanks!

Thanks. That's what I needed to know! I knew the salt had to mix for at least 24 hours, I just wasn't sure if it was okay to bring level up initially with bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I had that page bookmarked and read it before filling, but I still wasn't sure if it was okay to bring the FC level initially with the bleach. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.