skimmer placement - input requested - PLEASE!

spool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2014
New England - MA
All, I have been extremely busy at the office and with business travel so have been unable to start my pool build thread. Plan to get to it tonight (I hope), with lots of pics.

I just hit a point where they've framed skimmers in a location I felt was not optimal. Before they start plumbing and rebar I'd love some feedback.

Pool details are in my signature. 19x47 total dimensions. Swimmable portion of the pool is 19x39. In pool spa and tanning ledge consume 8x19.

Both skimmers were framed on the same SW pool wall.

My concerns are:
-The prevailing wind direction always seems to be in the direction indicated on my drawing.
-Visually you would be looking at the skimmer holes in the wall from the main seating area in front of the house

I want to make sure I capture floating debris so don't want to come off like a whiny home owner. The PB stated this was the proper design and the returns would guide debris properly even with prevailing wind direction. I don't want to question his every design decision but this one might need tweaking...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

skimmers.jpg
-edit- added additional pic with numbers to facilitate pin pointing locations...
View attachment 38630

"The PB stated this was the proper design and the returns would guide debris properly even with prevailing wind direction."
This is incorrect.
Without wind and with the returns set in a certain manner they would guide most of the debris to the skimmers.
A breeze overrules the returns.

Placing both skimmers on the same wall seems very odd, I have never seen this before.
They are most commonly on opposite sides close to, but not in the corners.

If the pool were oval or freeform it wouldn't be as much of a concern, but with the sharp corners I think I would have them put one on the southeast wall and one the southwest wall. I suspect that most of the wind flow is generally from north to south in your location.

Ideally I'd have them put in the south and east corners, but they're going to balk at that for sure.

Added some numbers for potential placement to make pin pointing placement easier.

skimmer2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If the pool were oval or freeform it wouldn't be as much of a concern, but with the sharp corners I think I would have them put one on the southeast wall and one the southwest wall. I suspect that most of the wind flow is generally from north to south in your location.

Ideally I'd have them put in the south and east corners, but they're going to balk at that for sure.

Hey Bama, thanks! So you think in location #3 and another at #4, #5 or #6?

Why do you think they'll balk. I'll push these guys hard to get what I feel is correct.

"The PB stated this was the proper design and the returns would guide debris properly even with prevailing wind direction."
This is incorrect.
Without wind and with the returns set in a certain manner they would guide most of the debris to the skimmers.
A breeze overrules the returns.

Placing both skimmers on the same wall seems very odd, I have never seen this before.
They are most commonly on opposite sides close to, but not in the corners.

So on the deep end side of the long walls opposite each other? Leave #2 and move second to location #4?

I think #3 & #2 or #4 would be best.

Can you point out where the returns are going to be?

Just sent PB email for exact locations. Onsite I believe he said the 4 returns would be on the NE wall pushing debris towards the skimmers.

If I move the skimmer location I imagine they would make appropriate modifications to the returns? Nothing has been plumbed yet. They just finished digging the hole on Monday.

Close, more like #2 & #6.

Now that is typical, not gospel.
If your prevailing wind is almost never reversed then you could go for #4 and #3, where #3 is not centered, more like close to the South corner.

"don't want to come off like a whiny home owner. "
You will get over this by the end of the project. It is your $$$ and you will have to live with this pool. You will never have to see him again, if all goes to plan.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Defn: The Venturi effect is the reduction in fluid pressure that results when a fluid flows through a constricted section of pipe.
The Venturi effect is named after Giovanni Battista Venturi, an Italian physicist.

So, huh!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.