Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Tile Color?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Tile Color?

I chose the WetEdge Bermuda color for the pool surface, which is a light gray base with blue/charcoal speckles. I am second guessing my tile choice. I chose a navy-ish blue tile color, which I really like (seems to pull out the blue speckles from the WetEdge product), but I would like your input.

My pool will have OK flagstone coping, Belgard Paver decking (Hill-Country), and an OK stone chopped block wall along the back half of the pool. I am not sure I want to go with the earth tones as many folks are choosing, seems like there will be a LOT of earth tones around, so I'd rather enhance the pool water... that said, please advise!

Samples of tile I chose:

my pool graphic:
    Gallacher, Keith4_003.jpg
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Tile Color?

Geez, all of those pics look awesome. You know what they say about opinion ..... Ask 50 people and you'll definitely get 50 different answers, but I think you have a very nice project on its way.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I absolutely love the blue tile you chose! It's gorgeous! If it were me, I would keep that. I am partial to blue waterline tile. I did a blue glass tile sprinkled around the pool. I could not find a blue waterline tile to complement the glass tile, so I finally went with a beige waterline tile. But if I hadn't used blue glass tile, I would have had blue tile for the waterline.

If you're second guessing your choice, what are the alternates you're considering? Good luck! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Eddd, Please keep it just like it is now! That is wonderful! Contrast that show cases each part! So pretty and feels just right!

Kim (do I need to get your lock and key to help you lock it in? LOL)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

We felt the same way about all the natural colors. We also chose a blue color from wetedge- satin matrix Tahitian blue and are doing Oklahoma coping and an OK chopped block wall. We are using Noble Tile Crystal Lake. It os blue but has some brown tones. Here is a pic

Here it is in a pool a few houses down.

Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally I hate blue tile, especially when it doesn't go with anything else. The worst combination I have seen is red brick coping with blue tile. Anyways personally would choose a tile that goes with your deck and coping better, especially since you have that wall in the back. I think it would look a lot better with a gray/sand-ish tile

Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

We are using the tile you posted in the first photo.

I personally felt with tan coping and tan stone raised bond beam adding more tan/brown to the edge of the pool would be too much. My pool designer agreed that is why we have blue.

One thing I didn't like was the stark white grout so I changed my grout color to better blend with the stacked stone wall instead of being just white.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

8. Back To Top    #8

@Texas Splash -- I know, right?!? But I had to ask!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    If you're second guessing your choice, what are the alternates you're considering? Good luck! Suz.
    The alternate would be a gray or a beige, but I think I'm sticking with the blue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    (do I need to get your lock and key to help you lock it in? LOL)
    Exactly what I needed Kim, LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=amandahein3;845341]We are using Noble Tile Crystal Lake. It os blue but has some brown tones.

We looked at a tile similar (just with darker blue), I like how it ties the blue/brown. The one I picked does have a touch of earth tones, but just a touch. Mostly blue though. Looks great

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ummgood View Post
    stark white grout
    Agreed -- my PB said they would basically match it the best they can to try and make the grout blend in with tile... and not pop with white.
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay so you are now locked in! The ya outweigh the na so here ya go!

Attachment 38642

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Funny, my husband is leaning more towards your color tile and I am looking more muted (like the blue with the browns and grays). Honestly, I think they are both beautiful. I am no decorator (as evidenced by the lack of curtains in my house), so I really can't give a good opinion. However, we had the blue that you have chosen in our last pool with a white pebble and gray concrete deck and it was very pretty.
    Building 20x40 free-form pool; pebble sheen, caretaker in floor, swg, intelliflo pump, heater. Sundance 800 spa happily in use. More to come!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Kim, LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by superwy View Post
    we had the blue that you have chosen in our last pool with a white pebble and gray concrete deck and it was very pretty.
    Sweet -- pet's hope so... cuz if I make another change my PG is gunna blow. LOL

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Nickmpower View Post
    Personally I hate blue tile, especially when it doesn't go with anything else. The worst combination I have seen is red brick coping with blue tile. Anyways personally would choose a tile that goes with your deck and coping better, especially since you have that wall in the back. I think it would look a lot better with a gray/sand-ish tile

I need your help. We have an existing covered red/pink brick paver patio. So we will use the same brick pavers for our deck. What color water line tile would you suggest ? We will have an 18" retainer wall on the back side of the pool. Trying to decide whether to use split stone travertine or tile or a combo ? Our coping will be light travertine . Our pool finish is Wet Edge Prism matrix Blue Lagoon ( aquamarine ) Please help ! I'm so confused ??
    Houston,TX, IG 15120 gal, gunite, 22' x 36',wet edge finish, Pentair equip, 420 cartridge filter, vs pump, Intelliflo vs booster pump for water features, 400,000 heater, auto fill ,PCC 2000 in floor cleaning ,2 LED lights,travertine coping, paver decking, 9x12 tanning shelf ,1 LED color bubbler, 2 5' benches w jets. Depth 4- 4 1/2- 5 , wall with 3 24" sheer decent , 2 spray heads, Intellitouch Controller.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by magicruiser View Post
    I need your help. We have an existing covered red/pink brick paver patio. So we will use the same brick pavers for our deck. What color water line tile would you suggest ? We will have an 18" retainer wall on the back side of the pool. Trying to decide whether to use split stone travertine or tile or a combo ? Our coping will be light travertine . Our pool finish is Wet Edge Prism matrix Blue Lagoon ( aquamarine ) Please help ! I'm so confused ??
    I would try an do something similar in color to the coping if I were you. Either that or if you can find a tile that is roughly the same color as the pool surface, not just generic blue though

See like here I think the blue tile just seems out of place
    Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter

14. Back To Top    #14

agreed with the pic above - but it looks bad (to me) because of the brown underneath. This pool is also a greenish tint with blue tiles.
    I've decided to stick with blue, it is more like the other pic (than this one), and it matches the blue speckles in my aggragate pool finish.
    If it all goes to plan, the blue tile will pull out the blue water and enhance the blue speckles, which will look great against all the earth tones around it.

-Edd

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for your suggestions ! We might go with an aqua waterline tile,that will tie in with our Wet Edge finish. On the 18" wall, stacked stone, use the same light travertine as our coping,may add some of the same tiles where the waterfalls are.
    Houston,TX, IG 15120 gal, gunite, 22' x 36',wet edge finish, Pentair equip, 420 cartridge filter, vs pump, Intelliflo vs booster pump for water features, 400,000 heater, auto fill ,PCC 2000 in floor cleaning ,2 LED lights,travertine coping, paver decking, 9x12 tanning shelf ,1 LED color bubbler, 2 5' benches w jets. Depth 4- 4 1/2- 5 , wall with 3 24" sheer decent , 2 spray heads, Intellitouch Controller.

16. Back To Top    #16

I think the problem with the pool above is the oaklahoma flagstone tanning ledge with blue tile. If you ignore the ledge and just look at the coping and water it doesn't look bad.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

17. Back To Top    #17

Eddd, you mentioned you're likely to go with a SWG....hmmmm? From what I read here on TFP, I thought flagstone and a SWG are a bad combo.
    Shotcrete 16'x25' rectangular with a half in 7' round spa raised 18" negative edge spillover, med. gray plaster. 9K gal. 3' sheer descent, 8'x12' wet deck.
    All equipment Pentair. 420 C&C, 400K MasterTemp, WhisperFlo 1hp, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo 2hp, IC40 Intellichlor, EasyTouch Wireless ScreenLogic2 Interface, 3ea. GloBrite LED's.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Eddd View Post
    I chose the WetEdge Bermuda color for the pool surface, which is a light gray base with blue/charcoal speckles. I am second guessing my tile choice. I chose a navy-ish blue tile color, which I really like (seems to pull out the blue speckles from the WetEdge product), but I would like your input.

My pool will have OK flagstone coping]
    If you're getting a SWG system, are you sure you want OK flagstone? You're gonna need to spend time/money keeping it sealed. My SWG pool is close to completion and my coping is concrete with some kind of greyish/blue tile that my designer suggested. The rest of my deck is supposed to be stamped or brushed concrete, I'm hoping we can do something about changing the look of the coping when we do the deck.

36 x 16 IG, SWG, FAFCO Solar Heating System, WetEdge Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure, 8.5' - 3.5' depth, 6' S.R. Smith Flyte-Deck II Dive Stand, Interfab X-Stream slide, 27k gallons, doggy tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers, 2.75 Hayward Tristar pump, Hayward 425 cart filter, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 light, Dolphin Z5

19. Back To Top    #19

@We_Like_It: I'll seal it, but yes this is a concern. I hear LOTS of conflicting stories on how much damage will actually happen due to salt. It is obviously a corrosive risk, but we decided to go for it. With the stone sealed, the salt issues should be diminished a LOT. I have a friend that has had flagstone at his salt pool for almost a decade -- no issues at all.

@tedujam: the decking will not do anything to the coping. Also, careful if you do stamped/stain concrete, you'll need to seal that, and sealed concrete can be slippery when wet. That said, that coping looks nice and clean!

- - - Updated - - -

by the way... brushed concrete is probably around $6-8 per sq.ft., stamped/stained concrete is probably around $12-16. You didn't figure all that out before signing a contract? We just signed recently and almost every specific is detail is laid out.