New to pool ownership, learning the ropes.

Jun 5, 2015
San Tan Valley, AZ
Evening all, Greetings from AZ.

I'm currently working on learning all there is to know about this pool/chemistry/evil pool store people, etc... I have played around with my TF-100 test kit and think I'm getting the hang of it.

My current readings:

FC: 8.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 8.2
CYA: 35
TA: 160
CH 675

I had noted my PH was high and used Pool Math to find out how much Muriatic acid to add. Retested, still too high, so I've added same amount and will have to retest tomorrow morning, first thing. I have also noted that my FC is high for the CYA but there was some CC (Barely turned a slight pink so had to factor in that 1 drop for the test) so I assume it's trying to kill something in there...

Also, I have been playing with the CH test and have noted how hard my water is... I recently had my pool acid washed (completely replaced old water with new, obviously) so I'm not entirely sure what else I can except manage it best I can with this awesome water in my neighborhood.

This is currently what my pool looks like. It's clear and I brush/net every day. P.S. The floater is just for looks, my realtor bought it for me and I thought it was cute, it's completely empty, I promise. ;)
Pool.jpg

ANYhoo, Let me know what I'm doing wrong/right, I've got tough skin. :eek:

Your CC should be fine at 0.5 or less. Balanced, sanitary pools range between 0 and< 0.5. No worries.

Go ahead and run FC, CC, pH, TA, and CH (not CYA) on your fill water. Write it down for your records and also post it here.

Right things? Bringing down that pH. Asking questions!

If you have retested after adding MA and the pH is still reading 8.2, then your starting pH was higher than that as 8.2 is the max reading on most test kits. Given the hard high CH water in the SW US, keep adding MA until the pH is around 7.2. Then, do not let pH get higher than 7.8 - when it does, re-dose with MA to bring it down to around 7.2

Thanks all, glad to hear I'm not messing too much up. Came to this site after doing some shopping online at a pool store and realizing the chemicals that I "needed" were going to cost me over 120 for less than a months supply. I'll update tonight after adding more MA.

Did a quick FC test and its back down to 6 with CC at 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.