Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool ownership, learning the ropes.

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile New to pool ownership, learning the ropes.

Evening all, Greetings from AZ.

I'm currently working on learning all there is to know about this pool/chemistry/evil pool store people, etc... I have played around with my TF-100 test kit and think I'm getting the hang of it.

My current readings:

FC: 8.5
    CC: 0.5
    PH: 8.2
    CYA: 35
    TA: 160
    CH 675

I had noted my PH was high and used Pool Math to find out how much Muriatic acid to add. Retested, still too high, so I've added same amount and will have to retest tomorrow morning, first thing. I have also noted that my FC is high for the CYA but there was some CC (Barely turned a slight pink so had to factor in that 1 drop for the test) so I assume it's trying to kill something in there...

Also, I have been playing with the CH test and have noted how hard my water is... I recently had my pool acid washed (completely replaced old water with new, obviously) so I'm not entirely sure what else I can except manage it best I can with this awesome water in my neighborhood.

This is currently what my pool looks like. It's clear and I brush/net every day. P.S. The floater is just for looks, my realtor bought it for me and I thought it was cute, it's completely empty, I promise.
    Pool.jpg

ANYhoo, Let me know what I'm doing wrong/right, I've got tough skin.
    11k gal, IG, Pebbletec with spa and spillover. Cartridge filter, Hayward H400 Pool heater 400,000 BTU, Hayward PlatinumFlow pump
    Hayward Platinum Care Remote kit (Various electric valves for spa/pool, blower, spa jets, etc that will probably break and be the bane of my existence...)
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool ownership, learning the ropes.

Your CC should be fine at 0.5 or less. Balanced, sanitary pools range between 0 and< 0.5. No worries.

Go ahead and run FC, CC, pH, TA, and CH (not CYA) on your fill water. Write it down for your records and also post it here.

Right things? Bringing down that pH. Asking questions!

3. Back To Top    #3

definitely get that ph down using muriatic acid
    as it is you are at risk of scaling so i would get that ph down asap to 7.2 to 7.4
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have retested after adding MA and the pH is still reading 8.2, then your starting pH was higher than that as 8.2 is the max reading on most test kits. Given the hard high CH water in the SW US, keep adding MA until the pH is around 7.2. Then, do not let pH get higher than 7.8 - when it does, re-dose with MA to bring it down to around 7.2
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP Jerry! Nice pool, nice set-up, and happy to see you are already pool-smart with the TF-100. Hope you enjoy the TFP site. Have a great day. Stay cool over there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all, glad to hear I'm not messing too much up. Came to this site after doing some shopping online at a pool store and realizing the chemicals that I "needed" were going to cost me over 120 for less than a months supply. I'll update tonight after adding more MA.

Did a quick FC test and its back down to 6 with CC at 0.
    11k gal, IG, Pebbletec with spa and spillover. Cartridge filter, Hayward H400 Pool heater 400,000 BTU, Hayward PlatinumFlow pump
    Hayward Platinum Care Remote kit (Various electric valves for spa/pool, blower, spa jets, etc that will probably break and be the bane of my existence...)
    TF-100 test kit