Not sure if I should be concerned or not, but I noticed my return line fittings have a hair line crack (a couple really) and the booster pump line (same fitting) has a hair line crack. I never noticed these before and the pool is NOT leaking water to the best of my knowledge. I am extremely paranoid about leaks. I have a test I do every year before taking the pool cover off to verify any leaks.
1. With the cover on and skimmers/return lines plugged I measure the water level over 2 days. Zero loss go to step 2
2. Unplug skimmers and return lines, prime pipes until the water circulates and is free of air. Measure the water level over 2 days.
If both of these test show no loss of water I assume no leak and open the pool. Obviously step 1 tests for leaks in the pool, step two is for the pipes.
Even after noticing these cracks the water level does not seem to be going down and using some PH reagent it does not appear to be leaking. I just wanted to get the forums opinion on hairline cracks in the thread part of the return fitting. Some questions are
1. Is it normal to see hairline cracks here?
2. Should I get some type of sealant before it gets worse?
3. Can these be replaced without having to remove concrete/dig?
The picture attached is just a picture I found on the net so you can understand what I am talking about. The cracks are very thin but you can feel it with your fingernail if you run it across. I am not even sure how they formed unless I over tighten the rubber stoppers during closing.