My Pool is balanced but still very green.....HELP!

Jun 9, 2015
San Jose, Ca
My pool has been green for too long. I had a pool guy replace the energy filter with a gauge, i have brand new cartridges (4) in the filter. The pool has been shocked too many times to count. I clean the cartridges daily or every other day. We used green to clean 6 weeks ago before energy filter was replaced and it was still green after. Help.....

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Easy Peasy.

1. Stay out of the pool store from now on.....you have put in some stuff that has unwanted side effects and that needs to stop.

2. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Gain a good understanding of the parameters that really define a balanced pool. Understanding the "ABC's" is the basics for all we teach.

3. A pic of your pool water would help us.

4. Be willing to test your water yourself. We want to teach you to manage your own chemistry but it will require a precision kit with you being the CEO of that kit.

5. Once you can post back some test results for us, we will teach you to SLAM the pool and over a period of days (but not overnight) we can have your pool sparkling.

"Ash", I have been in your shoes as well, not too long ago. It all changed with this site and getting my own "proper" test kit. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. Please see the TF-100 link below. :)

As for those pool store miracle products ... well... as you now know, there are none. "Free testing" simply is a way to get you/us in the door to buy their products. I used to clean my "green" filter EVERY day like you until I cracked the code here with TFP. You can too. Now once every 3-4 weeks, and it's just gray dirt residue, not algae. Just read those topics Dave mentioned above (links also in my sig), get that test kit ordered ASAP (priority #1), and you'll be amazed what you can do for your pool.

Welcome, and let us know if you have any questions. Have a great day.

Not much to add to what the others have said, other than Welcome to the forum!

With the weather conditions you in CA are experiencing, a drain and refill that the pool store would suggest is most likely out of the question.

Your water can be saved, by taking control of your pool. Look around, you will find many threads from others dealing with this same situation. We're not going to blow smoke at you, but we WILL help you get your pool back to a pristine, lovable condition.

My readings were: FAC 4, TAC 4, CH 225, CYA 80, TA 80, PH 7.4

Welcome to TFP! If only those test results could be trusted. As others have mentioned...your CYA is probably much higher. Unfortunately, our water restrictions present a unique challenge. Once your test kit arrives, give it a test drive and come right back to this post and ask away! You will get some great advice.

Just to give you some confidence (and after reading Pool School), typically for a pool your size, you should only need to add about 3 cups of bleach a day with an occasional dosing of muriatic acid. That will only be about $6/week in chemicals. Way cheaper (and easier) than the pool store or your daily stop at Starbucks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.