Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner install: To tape or not to tape...to trim or not to trim

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner install: To tape or not to tape...to trim or not to trim

I am installing the stenner pump into a Tee fitting. The instructions say to wrap the male end of the injector with 2-3 wraps of plumbing tape. Then there's a pic that says do not use plumbing tape. Do you guys know if it matters? I'm talking about the injector fitting that goes into the return.

Also, it says to trim the end that will go into the pool plumbing as necessary, called the injection fitting quill. What would constitute necessary? I screwed the injection end into a 1/2" thread on the Tee fitting. So...

Those of you that have done this could you let me know if this is important or what you did? Thanks so much.

Matt
    14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner install: To tape or not to tape...to trim or not to trim

Quote Originally Posted by myers2115 View Post
    I am installing the stenner pump into a Tee fitting. The instructions say to wrap the male end of the injector with 2-3 wraps of plumbing tape. Then there's a pic that says do not use plumbing tape. Do you guys know if it matters? I'm talking about the injector fitting that goes into the return.

Also, it says to trim the end that will go into the pool plumbing as necessary, called the injection fitting quill. What would constitute necessary? I screwed the injection end into a 1/2" thread on the Tee fitting. So...

Those of you that have done this could you let me know if this is important or what you did? Thanks so much.

Matt
    I drilled a 7/16" hole into a 2" 90 deg and 2" pipe, tapped it with a 1/2" 18-NPT 1/4" 18-NPT, used teflon tape (~3 wraps) and screwed directly into the hole. Did not trim the end. Since the quill is roughly in the middle of the return flow, didn't feel it necessary to trim it.

Gary
    Last edited by garyengr; 06-17-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Correct tap size
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

3. Back To Top    #3

Thx Gary. Maybe tapping would be simpler. Would a 1/2" 14-NPT work just as well?

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

4. Back To Top    #4

The injection fitting has two threaded fittings on it. One is ¼" 18-NPT and the other is ½" 14-NPT. If you're screwing it into a tee, then the ½" section is probably what you want. I don't think you'll need to trim the quill. That's if you're installing it into a small pipe and it's too long to fit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by myers2115 View Post
    Thx Gary. Maybe tapping would be simpler. Would a 1/2" 14-NPT work just as well?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    Sorry - tap size should have been 1/4" 18-NPT. Will correct.

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

6. Back To Top    #6

When the instructions state to avoid plumbing tape, they are referring to the threads on the pump where you connect the tube fittings. Don't use tape on the pump, just the the injector.
    17K gallon IG Plaster. 48sqft Hayward DE filter. Stenner Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Thx JP2, that's what I was wondering.

8. Back To Top    #8

I installed mine the exact same way as Gary. No issues!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8