May 25, 2012
30,000 gal in ground vinyl pool
Clear one day and cloudy the next.
pH 7.0
CC O
FC 0
Alk 170
CYA 0

I'm not sure how it was clear the day before. I just must be lucky!

Yesterday I added 4 # of cyanuric acid. I know that it takes up to a week for the CYA to register. I thought by an off chance that my level may be more than 0 already so today, I added 4 gal 10% shock. 90 minutes went by and I tested again to find my FC at 1[emoji52]. I want to make sure I am hitting this from the right angle bc it is 90 degrees and I'm ready to cook off. I know the whole SLAM process but I thought it was useless if I didn't have any stabilizer to hold my chlorine/bleach. I have also manually swept the pool to make sure there isn't a ton of debris using up my chemicals. Am I doing the right thing or am I way off track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fairly new to TFP, but I know you need to get that FC up for sure. What is your normal source of chlorine?

Did you use pool math to figure out how much CYA to add? More than likely there is something blooming in your pool. What FC are you targeting? Are you using the FC/CYA chart for your goal?

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I would add enough bleach to get your FC to the goal and then check it 30 minutes later to be sure you hit the goal. If you hit the mark, then test again in an hour to see how quickly your FC is dropping.

You also need to raise your PH to at least 7.2.

You're on the right track.

Well, if you follow SLAM, it isn't worthless so what Cya were you shooting for? I'd be surprised if you are 30K gallons, unless you are really deep. Do you have a proper kit with fresh reagents in it? Let us know, and take a moment or two to review SLAM, and the ABCs in Pool School. Work back through other sections for a good refresher too. You may need a SLAM it sounds like. How much have you been cloudy before now?

Cloudy a little here and there. My 7yo was in the hospital for a week and it wasn't "maintained" quite like usual. I was worried that I would continue to add chlorine but it would never hold without a level of CYA measuring out. I just didn't want to throw my wallet in the pool too. Our reagents are new this year. We have always calculated everything based on estimated 30k gallons. I was shooting for a FC of 16 bc I was hoping my CYA would be 40! In the morning my plan will be to start adding chlorine and stay on it every 1hour. Should I start SLAMing with the actual measurement of CYA in the morning? Or, when I test on the morning and my CYA is still not measurable should I just assume it is 0? I'm afraid to add more bc I don't want to over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the "assumed" CYA.....the amount you dosed. Even if it takes a while to register, assume you calced correctly and dosed correctly.

More succinctly....If you dosed enough to get to 40, assume you have 40 in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.