Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pristine Blue Hair Staining

1. Back To Top    #1

Pristine Blue Hair Staining

I am in the same boat with a small new 7,700 gallon pool. I've only used pristine blue twice, but my sons bleach blonde hair is green and its a constant hair battle. I would like to switch to chlorine. I'm getting my water tested again tomorrow, but last week after my last PB dose, I was at .3ppm copper. Do you have any advise on making the switch?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pristine Blue Hair Staining

Hi triple M! Welcome to TFP,

I moved your post to a new thread here on its own. You can switch easy. 0.3 is enough to cause staining on plaster, but I don't know what the threshold is for hair staining. Whatever you have, it sounds like enough, and I suggest a drain/refill. Best to leave a foot minimum of water in a liner pool so I wouldn't take it further than that. Drain half and replace then do it again. Or, do it in thirds if you want to be really safe. We shy from anything with Copper because of staining. We are big on testing our own water and maintaining critical parameters with common products like Bleach, but our cornerstone is understanding more than anything else. Take a look at Pool School, and start with the ABCs. You'll need a good test kit, but the know how is all here, and plenty of people will help you along the way.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

To get rid of the green hair, squirt ketchup on his hair,rub it in then shampoo as usual.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to get you going
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't tried the ketchup. I did baking soda and vinegar on the hair. It helped but we are not all blonde again.

I drained 1/3 and with heavy rain the copper level is .2ppm. What are thoughts on Proteam Metal Magic? Thanks! Marcy
    Middle TN, New pool May 2015, above ground 12'x24', 7700 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter. Converting from Pristine Blue to Chlorine. We are blondes who now have green hair!

6. Back To Top    #6

When my daughter was little she had white blond hair too and it would turn green from the pool. We used a shampoo and creme rinse called Ultra Swim. You can get it at Walmart. It's about $4. I just bought it recently when I got this pool at Ulta also.
    alexteek
    16x32' 13K, IG Tan Fiberglass, 1HP Superflo Pentair pump, Pentair 150 sq. ft. Cartridge, Polaris 360, Built November, 2014

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Alex! I bought some Ultra Swim. It will be part of his post swim routine. In the meantime, I'm switching to Chlorine to avoid this copper nightmare.
    Middle TN, New pool May 2015, above ground 12'x24', 7700 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter. Converting from Pristine Blue to Chlorine. We are blondes who now have green hair!

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!!

As others have suggested, you need your own test kit and do not trust the pool stores. They are probably the same folks who said the Pristine Blue was a great system. Order a TF100. That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you guys, I just purchased TF100. Yes, i should not have fell for their recommendations. Do you know of a home test kit which checks for metals? I am thinking the pristine blue test kit does because how else would they tell you a top off level?