Hayward H150 millivolt

rolo918

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2015
Macomb mi
Not all the time but every now and then I have to give a love tap for it to start working does anybody know what this might be. By love tap I mean I have to bang on the top (not that hard) for it to start

Could be a loose wire. Not a lot of info to go on here. Millivolt heaters are pretty simple in operation but they also can be finicky if connections are dirty/corroded. For yucks and grins I did check the troubleshooting chart and did not see a course of action for "won't start unless banged on the top". Probably going to have to open it up and check for loose/dirty connections and good power output from the powerpile. A volt/ohm meter will be your friend here.

Rolo,

See my YouTube channel below. I have five videos showing how to troubleshoot your heater, replace the pilot generator (powerpile/thermopile), jump out faulty sensors and some tips and tricks to cleaning out the terminals and connections.

Post any questions you have here, I'm somewhat of an expert in troubleshooting and changing out parts on these heaters, I've rescued a few of them destined for the scrap heap because the owners had given up on them and it turns out a good cleaning or some sensor replacement was all that it needed. These videos are my personal H350 heater that I've nursed back from the dead and kept running for about 14 years now.

I realize this is my first post on the forums, let me know if anyone else needs help in getting these millivolt heaters running reliably.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0PbutcEjwd0OC4RUZfVflA

Rolo,

See my YouTube channel below. I have five videos showing how to troubleshoot your heater, replace the pilot generator (powerpile/thermopile), jump out faulty sensors and some tips and tricks to cleaning out the terminals and connections.

Post any questions you have here, I'm somewhat of an expert in troubleshooting and changing out parts on these heaters, I've rescued a few of them destined for the scrap heap because the owners had given up on them and it turns out a good cleaning or some sensor replacement was all that it needed. These videos are my personal H350 heater that I've nursed back from the dead and kept running for about 14 years now.

I realize this is my first post on the forums, let me know if anyone else needs help in getting these millivolt heaters running reliably.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0PbutcEjwd0OC4RUZfVflA
Hi Phillip,

I have watched all your videos and couldn't find what I needed from watching them. They were all great though :) Here's my issue. I have an older (8-10 years) Hayward H150 heater. When I turn on the unit to heat the water it will fire up and run for approximately 1-2 minutes. After this, the burners shut down for around 5 minutes then it fires up again. This cycle continues repeatedly. I'd like it to stay on and actiually heat the pool so we can swim comfortably. I have a multi-meter and tested at the gas valve where I am getting 453 mV. What could the problem be? What steps should I take to correct the problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.