Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward H150 millivolt

1. Back To Top    #1
    Macomb mi

Hayward H150 millivolt

Not all the time but every now and then I have to give a love tap for it to start working does anybody know what this might be. By love tap I mean I have to bang on the top (not that hard) for it to start
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.

2. Back To Top    #2

western NY

Re: Hayward H150 millivolt

Could be a loose wire. Not a lot of info to go on here. Millivolt heaters are pretty simple in operation but they also can be finicky if connections are dirty/corroded. For yucks and grins I did check the troubleshooting chart and did not see a course of action for "won't start unless banged on the top". Probably going to have to open it up and check for loose/dirty connections and good power output from the powerpile. A volt/ohm meter will be your friend here.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Check for loose wiring. Seeing your "love" tap gets it going, it could just be a loose wire or connection.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cortland, NY

See my YouTube channel below. I have five videos showing how to troubleshoot your heater, replace the pilot generator (powerpile/thermopile), jump out faulty sensors and some tips and tricks to cleaning out the terminals and connections.

Post any questions you have here, I'm somewhat of an expert in troubleshooting and changing out parts on these heaters, I've rescued a few of them destined for the scrap heap because the owners had given up on them and it turns out a good cleaning or some sensor replacement was all that it needed. These videos are my personal H350 heater that I've nursed back from the dead and kept running for about 14 years now.

I realize this is my first post on the forums, let me know if anyone else needs help in getting these millivolt heaters running reliably.