Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Problems

Hey everyone,
    We just got a Summer Escapes pop up pool from Wal-Mart last week and it's been great. Today I went out to turn on the pump for the night and there is not a steady stream of water going into the pool from the pump. I checked for clogs and there are none. Any advice?
    Summer Escapes 12 ft AG Ring QuickSet Pool, 30 inches deep, 2100 gallons, RX600 Polygroup Cartridge Filter System. Water Testing: hth multi-purpose 6-way test strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Problems

Welcome to TFP!

Have you tried cleaning the filter cartridge?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. I just cleaned it yesterday and the pump worked before and after I cleaned it. It wasn't too bad, just a little brown.

Summer Escapes 12 ft AG Ring QuickSet Pool, 30 inches deep, 2100 gallons, RX600 Polygroup Cartridge Filter System. Water Testing: hth multi-purpose 6-way test strips

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Have you tried cleaning the filter cartridge?
    Yes. I did clean it yesterday before the pump stopped working and it wasn't too dirty. Looked clean today too.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I will ask the obvious...is the pump actually running?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    I will ask the obvious...is the pump actually running?
    I hear it making noise when I plug it in so yes

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, a pool that size with such a straight-forward set-up, you wouldn't think much could go wrong if you are sure:
    - Pump is on (check)
    - Water is getting pulled into the skimmer and/or inlet
    - Tubing is free of obstruction
    - Filter clean (check)

Perhaps unplug the pump and disconnect the tubing if possible just to make sure something small (i.e. toy or debris) isn't stuck right at the pump's intake where water first goes it? Maybe something inhibiting the pumps impeller to spin and push-out water?

Just thinking out loud here.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Weird... tried again this morning and it's working great. I wonder what it could have been?

9. Back To Top    #9

AHhh! Good 'ole timing to the rescue. Maybe it was just a matter of something just big (or small enough) to wedge in a tight spot and needed time to get out. Glad you're back to normal.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!