Zeosand?

May 17, 2015
Greenfield/In
Is this zeosand? I had a pool installed in early may. We had the company do everything. This may be my fault if it is. The stupid base in the pump filter setup was so cheap and noisy. It had cute push pins holding the pump to the base. What a joke. I built a base so that I can pick it up with the forks on the tractor for winterizing and attached the pump motor properly. Now I can pick up the pump setup and put in the barn. No more lifting. [emoji4] However when I loosened the multivalve to turn the waste nozzle the correct direction I bet I broke the laterals. [emoji21] does this sound plausible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I was thinking of screening the next backwash. If more is caught in the screening then I get an exciting trip into the filter to check the latterals. I'm not afraid to open it up. I just sent want to waste my time. Do you think that sounds like a good idea?
I feel like this filter has been more like a sieve since it was new a month ago. When I start the pump up after cleaning the skimmer basket or pump basket it sends out small debris like chopped up bug parts for about 10 seconds or so. Is that normal? I may have had a problem from the start.

Thanks for the amazingly quick responses! You guys are awesome!

I would say it is most likely filter media. Your filter may be fine or may have a broken lateral or stand pipe or simply a worn gasket. I would put the cleaned return jet back and run the pump for a bit and see if you get more media stuck in the return jet. If you don't get anymore they I wouldn't worry much. I don't think turning the multiport to waste is when the laterals would cause your problem, it would more likely be when you're moving it with the tractor. In the future, I would add unions on both sides of the pump and take it in by itself. You can remove the drain on the filter and move the multiport to winterize and cover the multiport with a bag. A a benefit to only removing the pump is that everything will stay in the same location so you can upgrade to PVC lines.

- - - Updated - - -

A screen is fine too, I was typing as you posted.

I was thinking of screening the next backwash. If more is caught in the screening then I get an exciting trip into the filter to check the latterals. I'm not afraid to open it up. I just sent want to waste my time. Do you think that sounds like a good idea?
I feel like this filter has been more like a sieve since it was new a month ago. When I start the pump up after cleaning the skimmer basket or pump basket it sends out small debris like chopped up bug parts for about 10 seconds or so. Is that normal? I may have had a problem from the start.

Thanks for the amazingly quick responses! You guys are awesome!

Do you use the rinse function to send any stray bits of sand back to the top of the heap where they belong after backwashing? That could be why you see debris. On the other hand, Zeo sand doesn't get rave reviews here. Check the search results

All my friends that have pools told me to take the setup in for winter. I don't know I'll m still new to this. The base was so flimsy there is no way it would have lasted more than a year. It's mounted to the skid. It much more stable and the pump is quieter now that's is mounted secure.
Richard yea I backwash then rinse and then backwash again then rinse then to filter. I saw a thread when searching on this site that suggested that procedure. (Wink Wink) I always search before posting there is so much great info that's why my post count is so low. You guys have answered so many questions of mine without even knowing it. [emoji4]

OK so I've been reading a lot on zeosand. Is this the dust that people complain about?

The pic has some glare on the water but it is crystal clear. I have been battling this dust since the pool was installed. I vac it to just have it return. What do you think?
FC 5
CC 0
CYA 28
TA 190
PH 7.9 I keep pushing it down and heavy rain seems to drive it back up.
More MA added today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so I've been reading a lot on zeosand. Is this the dust that people complain about?

The pic has some glare on the water but it is crystal clear. I have been battling this dust since the pool was installed. I vac it to just have it return. What do you think?
FC 5
CC 0
CYA 28
TA 190
More MA added today.

Also how often should I check my CYA. Is once a week often enough?

TA 190
More MA added today.

Also how often should I check my CYA. Is once a week often enough?

Is your TA usually that high? High TA could be causing the pH to rise. To reduce TA, use pool math to reduce your pH to 7.2 and then aerate to 7.5 and repeat until you've added enough acid to reduce your TA to around 90.

Checking CYA weekly is often enough, but when you add more just remember that it won't show on a test for a few days to a week.

I would get in the pool and try to touch the stuff. If it's really fine dirt that just moves before your finger can touch it, I doubt it's a problem with a lateral. What model is your filter, and what is the clean PSI and PSI you backwash at?
26" eco Kleer sand filter with zeosand 1.5 hp eco kleer pump. The dust goes away when I get close to it. I am working my TA down with aeration. I feel that the pump is oversized. It feels like a jet ski coming out of the return. Clean pressure is 14 I backwash at 17. I have a slime bag that helps but it takes a little rigging to get it in because my light is in the return and is not compatible with the slime bag hookup. I have done a couple oclt and always passed. I'm new to pool ownership and started tfp at startup because it just made sense. Am I doing something wrong? Is this something I will just live with? Thanks. Nathan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.