Turning off SWG during the winter and Our FC levels

p_pan

Apr 16, 2008
Texas
Our pool is 6 months old and we leave in North Texas where we were advised by everybody to keep our pool running during the winter. We have a freeze-guard system that kicks on whenever the temperature falls below 38 degrees. It's been working well but today when I checked the chemical balance in the water I realized that FC = 9.5 / PH = 7.5

My SWG is set for 10% for several weeks now. Last time I boosted the equipment was 4 weeks ago when we found a small mouse floating on the pool.

My questions are two:
1) Should I turn the SWG off or should I leave it on at 5% or even 0%?
2) How do I get the FC level down during the winter? Do I have to worry about that?

PS: The temperature here have ranged from 23-70 in the past few days.

Data:
FC: 9.5
CC: 0.0
Ph: 7.7
Size: 15,500 galons
Salt Level: 2,900 ppm
Temperature in water: 38 degrees

When your water is really cold, below 50 degrees, you can turn the SWG way down. I suggest trying it at 1%. Chlorine lasts longer in cold water and with cold water you don't need as much chlorine in the first place.

The other option is to turn the SWG off completely and add a little chlorine manually. When the water is really cold you can add chlorine only occasionally, once ever week or two is usually plenty. Even once a month is often fine as long as the water stays cold. Air temperature is not all that important, as long as the water stays cold.

Because your FC is already at 9ppm, and your night time temps are kicking on pump/SWG I would go ahead and lower your SWG to 1%, mine already is at 1% because my water temp is at 45, or you could always wait until your water temps drop and then the Autopilot would adjust itself. Your clorine will lower over the coming months, just as Jason said when the water gets warmer. IMO 9 ppm FC is not "harming" your pool

Rob

My water is at 57 degrees and we are expecting cold weather for the next week or so. I turned my SWG off and am using bleach. I found a real deal at Sam's Club, 3 - 182 oz. jugs of 6% bleach for $7 & change!

We were only able to use our SWG for about 2-3 weeks before the cold starting coming into the Dallas area. Wasn't able to figure out what the correct % was on it anyway so I let the FC levels get into the double digits, was in the mid teens for a bit there. The chlorine levels have now come back down to 5-6 and I will hold it with chlorine pucks. I had read that the SWG doesn't work under 45-50 anyway. So, it is off and will stay off until we start getting some warmer weather. Testing every week just to be sure. Only thing I have had to add is acid to lower pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.