Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown spots on bottom of pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pleasant Garden

Brown spots on bottom of pool.

Hey new to forum, had pool for 10 plus years.
    About 3 years ago we switched from chlorine to an ionizer system with copper bars and electricity for the sanitizer. I have developed brown spots on the bottom of the pool opposite of the water flowing into the pool.
    I have tried the vitamin c test on the pool bottom and it did nothing to it. I have put a chlorine tablet on the and it lighted the only to come back.
    My numbers are as follows.

Copper .5 ppm
    p.h. 7.3 ppm
    total alkalinity 110 ppm
    Calcium Hardness 220 ppm
    TDS 2000 ppm

Please see the attached picture

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Brown spots on bottom of pool.

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

Your ionizer is adding copper to the pool. Copper above .3ppm will stain the pool and your hair. It also will not sanitize your pool. Here is an article from Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach