Algae I.D. help and ?'s

May 30, 2015
Raleigh
Hey Y'all , been paying attention to the forums for quite sometime but never needed help , now i need the forums advice . My pool has had quite a rough week .Big pool party saturday into sunday ( it was a good one ) Lots of kids all week and temps above 95 too . I run it for 12 hours at night since i get a discount on the electricity . Noticed Sunday evening the water was clouding up so I tested it and came up with normal #'s except for the fc 1.5 ( usually 3-3.5) and cc which was a little greater than .5 but less than 1.0 (using the 10ml ) So i shocked with 2 lbs of cal hypo and increased the output of the salt cell to 60 and have run the filter nonstop since .

Todays #'s

FC= 3.5
CC= >.5
PH= 7.5
TA=100
CYA=30

The water looks better but this brown algae showed up on the bottom today IMAG2566.jpgIMAG2565.jpg

Ready to SLAM or ?

Thanks in advance ...

You are doing the right thing. visible algae, dead or alive, (that's dead in the pic) is maybe the best indicator of all that a SLAM is needed.

You have a nice grasp of the chemistry involved and you caught this VERY early so I do not think your SLAM will last very long. Good work using your wits and your test kit to recognize your issue and handle it accordingly. That's TFP Pool management!!

#'s From 5:30am
FC=12
CC=.5
Water is crystal clear again , vacuumed up the dead stuff . Then I managed to spill the powder for the test kit ( was in a rush ) I might have enough to test when I get home , hopefully someone stocks it locally .

Then I managed to spill the powder for the test kit ( was in a rush ) I might have enough to test when I get home , hopefully someone stocks it locally .
Wouldn't bet on someone stocking the FAS-DPD test locally. I would order more powder or the XL Option which are available on this page (TFTestkits.net) or you can order the FAS-DPD refill which contains the powder and both liquid reagents to test FC and CC (TFTestkits.net). You will need the FAS-DPD test to manage your pool on an ongoing basis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.