Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae I.D. help and ?'s

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae I.D. help and ?'s

Hey Y'all , been paying attention to the forums for quite sometime but never needed help , now i need the forums advice . My pool has had quite a rough week .Big pool party saturday into sunday ( it was a good one ) Lots of kids all week and temps above 95 too . I run it for 12 hours at night since i get a discount on the electricity . Noticed Sunday evening the water was clouding up so I tested it and came up with normal #'s except for the fc 1.5 ( usually 3-3.5) and cc which was a little greater than .5 but less than 1.0 (using the 10ml ) So i shocked with 2 lbs of cal hypo and increased the output of the salt cell to 60 and have run the filter nonstop since .

Todays #'s

FC= 3.5
    CC= >.5
    PH= 7.5
    TA=100
    CYA=30

The water looks better but this brown algae showed up on the bottom today IMAG2566.jpgIMAG2565.jpg

Ready to SLAM or ?

Thanks in advance ...
    13.5k round a/g vinyl . Sand filter, 1.5 hp . Aquatrol , T-5 cell . k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae I.D. help and ?'s

Started the SLAM process just in case , added 170 oz of 8.25 % bleach ( thanks pool math ) to target 12 ppm

Readings after adding bleach

FC= 13.5
    CC= .5

See what tomorrow brings
    13.5k round a/g vinyl . Sand filter, 1.5 hp . Aquatrol , T-5 cell . k-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You are doing the right thing. visible algae, dead or alive, (that's dead in the pic) is maybe the best indicator of all that a SLAM is needed.

You have a nice grasp of the chemistry involved and you caught this VERY early so I do not think your SLAM will last very long. Good work using your wits and your test kit to recognize your issue and handle it accordingly. That's TFP Pool management!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

#'s From 5:30am
    FC=12
    CC=.5
    Water is crystal clear again , vacuumed up the dead stuff . Then I managed to spill the powder for the test kit ( was in a rush ) I might have enough to test when I get home , hopefully someone stocks it locally .

5. Back To Top    #5

Then I managed to spill the powder for the test kit ( was in a rush ) I might have enough to test when I get home , hopefully someone stocks it locally .
    Wouldn't bet on someone stocking the FAS-DPD test locally. I would order more powder or the XL Option which are available on this page (TFTestkits.net) or you can order the FAS-DPD refill which contains the powder and both liquid reagents to test FC and CC (TFTestkits.net). You will need the FAS-DPD test to manage your pool on an ongoing basis.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Have enough for at least one more test tonight
    Current #'s
    FC =7
    CC=0
    Added bleach . Turns out TFtestkits is in my neck of the woods , placing an order tonight .