My First Pool and SLAM - Photos, Thoughts, Costs, Quantities and Questions

Jun 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi all :wave:

I recently bought my first home and it came with an in-ground pool. When I viewed the house the pool was already closed for the season.

I knew nothing about pools. The equipment was a random mess of pipes to me and the bewildering amount of pool chemicals I had seen online was confusing. Basically my knowledge could be summarized as "chlorine keeps a pool clean...somehow".

My original plan was to continue to use the pool company the previous owners had used to open the pool. but having got a quote, I was quickly put off. I started my research, found this forum and the DIY journey began...

May 16th 2015

Here's the pool as it stood once 4 ft. of snow melted and I took a peek under the cover:

20150516_113425.jpg

First job was clearing out around the equipment so I could get a better view of everything. I went from this:

20150514.jpg

To this:

20150522_203212.jpg

After I identified all the model numbers, I hit the 'net and downloaded all the manuals. That helped me understand their purpose, how they were connected and their relationships to each other.

I also discovered what diatomaceous earth is. I have yet to discover how to pronounce it though.

Then I read up on drain plugs, expansion plugs and baskets. I couldn't find the skimmer basket, so ordered a replacement. Luckily I was able to find the drain plug for the filter. They were still in place in the pump (it had antifreeze in it).

Next was research and understanding of the SLAM process along with some playing with PoolMath. Once I had a handle on it, I was off to the store for chorine. For me, the best source was a discount store at $3 a gallon for 12.5% I ordered the FAS/DPD test and purchased the HTH 6-way test kit.

May 30th 2015

Time to remove the cover to see what I was dealing with. That's when I hit hurdle number 1. The previous owners left behind a small submersible pump, so I tried clearing the cover with that. After a while of no visible change in the water level, I began to suspect the cover may have had a hole. It had to be pulled off as it was, trying to minimize the junk that ended up in the pool. the result:

20150530_190553_001.jpg

Then I started fishing around blindly with the net. Over several days a lot came out! I discovered a squirrel, two birds, a mouse and various Newt type creatures. Suffice to say they were all dead. Although I have photos, I'll spare you them :pukel: Not pleasant and not what I had in mind when I first thought of having my own swimming pool!

Fishing around in that water to ensure I found all the plugs was not fun either...yuck.

Once that was done it was back inside to the basement to figure out how to turn all this equipment on. Breaker switched and Intermatic T103 timer figured out, I was ready - nervous and excited in equal measure!

I decided early on that I wanted to spend more time enjoying the pool than maintaining it, so purchased this:

20150530_134550.jpg

At this point I took my first readings:

20150530_180456.jpg

May 30th 2015
FC: 0
CC: 0.5
CYA: <30 (minimum reading from HTH kit) - completely clear
PH: 7.4
TA: 50

This told me I had to go back to the store for stabilizer. I added just under 40 oz in tights in front of the skimmer basket.

Right before flicking the pump on to check it worked okay, I decided to check the pool company had closed it properly and cleaned the filter grids. Part of me wanted to assume it would be fine to speed up the process, but out came the wrenches and the lid came off. This is what I found:

20150530_151819.jpg

Disappointing to say the least. I tore the house apart to try and find it, as this was my window to start the SLAM process. In desperation I paid a visit to the pool company, who confirmed they remove the grids to clean them at closing, but leave them on the property.

So that was big pool expense #1 and more days lost awaiting delivery...

June 4th 2015

The new grid arrived and looked fresh (not for long, I would discover):

20150604_131032.jpg

At this point I had missed my opportunity to babysit the pool, so I started it up in recirculate mode. I also thought that this might clear it a bit and save putting too heavy a strain on the equipment.

Then I was ready to begin adding chlorine. I was targeting a shock level of 12.

The first two days my FC was being used up within hours and my CC had risen to 10. After a couple of tests of that I decided to stop testing for CC until the pool was in a better state in order to save on reagents.

Much more debris removal was done, but with the valve just set to recirculate progress was at best very slow, at worst non-existent.

I finally got some time to dedicate to the filter, so got it running. I was not prepared for the pressure to reach backwash levels in 30 minutes Back to the store for a second box of DE.

Once again progress was slowed by the very rapid pressure rises. Even after multiple backwashes the pressure was still up 8-10 PSI in under an hour. The valve spent a LOT of time in recirculate mode.

Eventually the pressure rise slowed, the filter was on for longer and the color change became more visible.

June 7th 2015

I was doing a good job keeping my local store in business:

20150607_194612.jpg

June 8th 2015

I received a new toy to help with maintenance, but would also be a huge help for this opening:

20150608_195452.jpg

My sister named him Colin :D

June 9th 2015

Colin is definitely helping:

20150609_080259.jpg

June 10th 2015

Real progress being made - Here's a sample of pool water:

20150610_101627.jpg

and that pretty much brings me to where I stand now...

June 16th 2015

20150615_092626.jpg

Pressure is now rising much slower (lasts a few days), the pool is VERY clear and I have very little overnight FC loss.

I've re-tested for CYA and it still didn't register. Confused, I've since learnt CYA can be broken down when opening a particularly ugly pool and also that you should avoid backwashing for a week after adding CYA to avoid flushing it out (that seems to contradict all the advise saying to get the CYA in straight away as it takes time to dissolve?).

My patience has been severely tested the last few days, as the improvement has stalled/slowed. I already missed the window for my sister to use the pool and my mum, who is currently staying with me, will be returning home soon so at this rate she won't get to use it either.

I saw 0.5 CC once, but never again...it has been hovering around the 1 - 1.5 range for a few days now. My overnight FC loss is around 1. I REALLY don't want to quit or shortcut it, but the temptation grows stronger every morning I look out the window.

This mornings results:
06/16/2016 @ 09:56
FC: 13
CC: 1.5

Overnight FC loss was 0.6 (using PoolMath "Effects of adding chemicals" since I added more before bed last night). My frustration has led me to up my chlorine dosage a tad in order to ensure I don't dip under my target 12 for too long, hence why it shows 13 above.

I am really struggling to get over this final hump. I have begun to wonder whether I have either underestimated my pool capacity or have higher CYA levels than I think (or a combination of both). The pool has steps, slopes from about 2ft. to 5ft. but has a sloped perimeter round the edge in the deep end, so the deepest part is in the middle of the pool (if that makes sense). This logic also played into my reasoning to up the dosage a tad. The last couple go rounds I've been using an 11K capacity (up from 10,500) and a target FC of 13.

I read today that the sun helps burn off cc's...well the weather here has been awful the last couple of days, so that won't help. Do I just have to sit and out and wait for better weather?

I'm also gutted about the green tint. I don't believe at this point it is algae (or is it?), but more likely iron. The vitamin C test works on the brown staining on steps, skimmer and returns. My research suggests it will lighten once I'm able to bring the chlorine levels down. But everyone else is associating it with the pool being dirty, which knocks my morale I have Ascorbic Acid on it's way.

My girlfriend is losing patience and confidence I can get this done. She has told me (more than once) I should take a sample to the pool store and follow their advice....it worked for her parents pool.

Right now I need a break from writing this. I will be back with a complete log of all my test results with time stamps, along with a tally of my costs and quantities used to date. Hopefully someone will find my story useful so I can give a little back to the community.

This whole process has been interesting, fun, frustrating, exhausting and exciting all at the same time. Without this great forum I wouldn't have made it this far - thanks everyone for sharing such great information.

Before I sign off here are some comparison shots:

Shallow end steps - May 22nd 2015

20150522_192844_001.jpg

Shallow end steps - June 15th 2015

20150615_094545.jpg

Looking down at a return - May 22nd 2015

20150522_200800_001.jpg

Looking down at a return - June 14th 2015

20150614_074156.jpg

Colin hard at work in the deep end - June 10th 2015

20150610_093558.jpg

Colin in the deep end again - June 13th 2015

20150613_200821.jpg

Thanks,

Foggy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the replies and sorry about the earlier issue with the photos.

Things have been busy which kept me away from the forum to post an update, plus there were the technical issues a while back.

Despite not posting I had been continuing to keep a mini diary offline with the intention of posting it here eventually. So here goes...

June 17th 2015

Some more things showed up. This to treat the stains:

20150617_185420.jpg

and these to try and reduce the amount of backwashes:

20150617_221334.jpg

June 19th 2015

The amount of time between backwashes started to decrease, so I decided to give the grids another hose down. Before:

20150619_115302.jpg

Is that DE clumping on top a sign that I'm adding too much?

After:

20150619_123007.jpg

Is the brown staining normal? From other photos I've seen online of cleaning, people are able to get them back to white, looking like new. These grids are brand new, only two weeks old.

June 22nd 2015

Decided to take 4Knights advice and not put off fixing the liner any more. I'd had a look and a quick attempt at fixing it previously. It was pretty obvious it wasn't going to stay in the track unassisted, so I bought this:

20150622_104401.jpg

Weird that vendors seem to have standardized on 120 ft. and yet the consensus is to only apply it in small pieces where it is actually needed. There's gonna be a lot left over!

June 23rd 2015

Re-tested my CYA...

20150623_091003.jpg

That's <30 . I've now added 3.5 lb of stabilizer, so I'm not sure where it's going. Back to the store to buy more.

June 24th 2015

More stabilizer in...

20150624_104818.jpg

June 25th 2015

Tested the pH...not so good:

20150625_100018_001.jpg

Something else arrived in the mail today:

20150625_210000.jpg

I read the mixed reviews but decided it was worth a shot.

June 26th 2015

No more teasing - here's a shot of the pool this morning:

20150626_112736.jpg

June 27th 2015

Filter pressure was up AGAIN so out they came for another cleaning.

Is all this DE clumped at the bottom of the filter housing another sign I’m adding too much?

20150626_211536_001.jpg

Even though the grids are new they’re getting quite a work out with all the algae so decided to give them a soak in TSP (as recommended on this forum). I am also hoping it would remove the brown staining and return them to an ‘as new’ look:

20150627_194328.jpg

Another package in the mail – a new elbow O-ring for the filter:

20150627_203328.jpg

June 28th 2015

I don’t have a photo, but the overnight TSP soak did nothing to remove the brown staining. In fact they looked the same as when I put them in, so I’m not sure whether it did anything to help clean them up. Luckily the investment (time and money) was low.

Reassembled everything, flicked on the pump aaaaaaaaaaaaand…

*putt* *putt* *visible puff of smoke* *silence*

Great.

Decided to leave it a while to see if it would fix itself, but several hours later still nadda. So I removed it and got it on the bench - I didn’t see anything obviously wrong except for this split diffuser:

20150711_163011.jpg

So I decided to get on Amazon – New motor, new diffuser and rebuild kit (shaft seal, etc.) ordered. My bank balance is not enjoying pool ownership.

We’re also meant to be hosting a July 4th Party (on the 5th) so this is a pretty big setback and I’m starting to worry it won’t be ready in time.

June 29th 2015

Having never owned a pool before, I wasn’t sure how a multiport valve was supposed to operate, but mine was making a strange noise and the handle action was not smooth when moving positions. Not knowing how old it was, I decided a service couldn’t hurt.

These arrived in the mail today:

20150629_122540.jpg

A new spring, washers and seals.

So while I waited for the pump to be delivered, I tore apart the valve:

20150629_125912.jpg

Everything looked in good condition…then I compared the springs. New on the left, old on the right:

20150629_130559.jpg

In case it’s not conveyed well in the photo, there is a noticeable height difference in the springs. The old one is permanently compressed, so the lack of tension it was applying probably affected the effectiveness of the seal. That’s how I’m justifying the time and expensive anyway!

Compressing the assembly with the new spring on to re-insert the handle pin was a nightmare. Needed a second pair of hands for that, but eventually got it all back together and cleaned up.

These also arrived:

20150629_182627.jpg

Not strictly required but I’m going to all this effort, may as well have it look nice.

Curiosity also led me to discover that the suction drain on the side wall (I don’t have a floor drain) is VERY powerful. I didn’t want an accident on my conscience so investigated covers for it. There is a genuine Hayward part, but it is pretty crude and still has some pretty large holes in it – certainly big enough for fingers. So my research continued and I found this company: www.aquastarpoolproducts.com They do a whole range of drain safety covers and looks like they had something that would fit mine, so I found a good price on the bulkhead adaptor and ordered that on its own to make sure it fitted correctly. It arrived today so I did a test fit:

20150629_182753.jpg

Just keeping on top of the chlorine level and running Colin (the robot) while the pump is out of action. Very frustrating.

June 30th 2015

Lots of goodies arrived today! Certainly getting value for money from my Amazon Prime free trial!

20150630_225707.jpg

20150630_231122.jpg

It’s late though so the rebuild will have to wait until tomorrow.

July 1st 2015

New motor going back together:

20150701_132008.jpg

And getting wired-up out at the pool:

20150701_135203.jpg

After that I reinstalled the multiport valve:

20150701_170957.jpg

but annoyingly forgot to check the cure time on the adhesive. 24 hours. Great, gotta wait another day to see if my DIY skills replacing this stuff worked L

I’m expecting my order of Polyquart 60 and Metal Magic to arrive tomorrow so I can do an Ascorbic Acid treatment in an attempt to get rid of the green tint, so I have been keeping my FC level to a minimum.

July 2nd 2015

Sure enough right on time:

20150702_150613.jpg

Along with faceplate for the drain safety cover:

20150702_150634.jpg

I also only had an ‘off’ tripper but no ‘on’ tripper for the Intermatic timer, so these arrived as well:

20150702_150645.jpg

So with the adhesive on the spider gasket cured, I was all set to start up the pump again. The filter was still empty from the last cleaning, so this time I decided to pre-mix the DE in an effort to get a more even coating across the grids.

Pump fired up first time! Wahoo! DE in and things seem to be purring along.

This is how the pool looks:

20150702_141438.jpg

In goes the Polyquart 60 and to my surprise I start seeing the green tint lightening (or at least changing shade!) within two hours:

20150702_180553.jpg

I’m also surprised to see the skimmer sock has gone completely brown:

20150702_182154.jpg

I rinsed it and it went back to white…but after another hour or so it was brown again. It never previously went brown before I added the Polyquart 60. Colin was also running while the Polyquart 60 was working and his filters turned brown too (again for the first time).

It seemed like the Polyquart 60 was taking some of the iron out of the water all on its own – is that a known effect/benefit?

So after a couple of hours I decided to add the Ascorbic Acid – I was pretty excited to see how it would work out…I had read that it works fast but WOW! As a reminder here is how my steps looked:

20150613_092001.jpg

After putting the Ascorbic Acid in I had to quickly grab my phone to take a photo – this was within ONE MINUTE!

20150702_193940.jpg

The brown just disappeared before my eyes. Wow. Two minutes later and the whole pool was definitely changing color:

20150702_194215.jpg

I put about 1 lb in the pool and then climbed in myself to apply it directly to the walls and fittings inside a tied-up T-shirt. In total I used the whole 2 lb bag of Ascorbic Acid and 50 minutes after putting it in I FINALLY had a blue pool!

20150702_203109.jpg

I was pretty proud of myself and the journey I’d taken.

July 3rd 2015

I was keen to take a look at the pool first thing in the morning and at 9am this is what I saw:

20150703_132937.jpg

Here are the steps:

20150703_132911.jpg

Here’s Colin:

20150703_141439.jpg

and just for completeness here is the drain cover installed:

20150707_202303.jpg

I am so happy! :bounce:

I have the rest of the weekend to slowly bring up the chlorine level and get it to hold before the party Sunday afternoon.

July 4th 2015

I’ve been bringing up the FC to just 2ppm every few hours in an effort to avoid the stains re-appearing and I’m just starting to see some holding now at about 0.5ppm

July 5th 2015

I bought the FC up to recommended levels and the party was a great success, even if the water was a little cold!

---

You guys ROCK and this forum is a goldmine of valuable information.

This has been a long process (50 days!) and very expensive (as promised earlier I will share costs) but I’m proud of what I’ve been abale to achieve thanks to this forum. Although it’s cost a lot of time, effort and money, I’ve no doubt that it has been WAY cheaper than using a pool company would have been. Plus with all the maintenance items I have done, hopefully I am well poised for a few years of Trouble Free Pool’ing :)

The Intermec trippers say they are different, but other than color I could not find any difference in the ones I got. Other than on and off of course. I used all four and have found no issues. I now have it run two times a day once in the morning and again in the evening. That way I can do my maintenance while the pump is running normally.

[regarding staining on DE grids] Is the brown staining normal? From other photos I've seen online of cleaning, people are able to get them back to white, looking like new. These grids are brand new, only two weeks old.

With significant iron in the water, staining of surfaces is to be expected and white surfaces would show the stain the most. Because these are metal stains, they aren't removed readily by detergent approaches that deal better with insoluble organic material. Your ascorbic acid treatment would most likely remove the stains better than anything else.

[regarding CuLator] I read the mixed reviews but decided it was worth a shot.

With your use of Metal Magic you may be able to coagulate/precipitate most of the iron out of the water. If not, then the CuLator could remove what's left. If you run into ANY issues with CuLator, contact the company as they sometimes have special procedures that are needed (there was one case where iron bacteria had to be killed off with copper first). Be sure and let us know what happens in any event.

[regarding Polyquat 60In goes the Polyquart 60 and to my surprise I start seeing the green tint lightening (or at least changing shade!) within two hours:
I’m also surprised to see the skimmer sock has gone completely brown:
I rinsed it and it went back to white…but after another hour or so it was brown again. It never previously went brown before I added the Polyquart 60. Colin was also running while the Polyquart 60 was working and his filters turned brown too (again for the first time).

It seemed like the Polyquart 60 was taking some of the iron out of the water all on its own – is that a known effect/benefit?

Polyquat is not only an algaecide but also a clarifier, though a milder one than modern clarifiers. In fact, the chemical was first sold as a clarifier before it was marketed as an algaecide. So yes, getting more iron precipitated to get caught in a skimmer sock and filter is to be expected. The Metal Magic is supposed to do even more of that though it's an explicit metal sequestrant (HEDP), but one apparently designed to coagulate as well as sequester.

The ascorbic acid you added converted the ferric iron oxide-hydroxide stains into soluble ferrous ions. The Metal Magic is then needed to sequester those ions and hopefully coagulate them so that they can be removed. You need to add chlorine slowly to the pool and raise the FC slowly over time so that you don't re-stain. In particular, keep an eye on your pH since higher pH will precipitate/stain more iron. It's a delicate dance between trying to remove the iron from your pool quickly enough before your FC and pH cause it to re-precipitate. Be sure to add required maintenance doses of Metal Magic as directed at least until you are sure that all metal is removed from the pool (including that removed by CuLator if you use it).

Chem Geek is spot-on. I have done the iron dance (iron and iron bacteria in my well water) and if you're careful, you should be good. I am VERY careful to try to refill with rainwater only and schedule any back washing/vacuuming accordingly.

I think this is a remarkable thread and every person who comes to the forum with a neglected pool should review this to see that it can be done.

That is VERY nice work and you took your time on each step and made all the right decisions. My hat is off to you. I want to point out one particular....
In case it’s not conveyed well in the photo, there is a noticeable height difference in the springs. The old one is permanently compressed, so the lack of tension it was applying probably affected the effectiveness of the seal.
That is very revealing and an example to those of use that are having multi-port issues. That spring does lose it's "tension" over time and should be replaced. It might not be a bad idea to replace it anytime you replace the wagonwheel gasket.

Excellent, excellent thread and kudos to you for your thoughtful work.

I have to agree with Duraleigh, and I must say this is the most impressive new pool owners thread I can remember. All the dreaded problem were there. With everything combined, it's truly admirable. Talk about taking initiative and getting things done. Wow! You will indeed be prepared to handle the daily routine of TFPC with the utmost confidence and ease. Big congrats.

Most excellent job, and so well done. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.