Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!!! My acid is degrading!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!!! My acid is degrading!

I'm in the process of lowering my TA, so I stopped at Leslie's Pool Store. Here in Tucson they have the lowest price on 31% MA, a two gallon box for $11.49. So I asked for three boxes (this will likely be my only chemical purchase for the year). Clerk says "that's a lot of acid to buy at once", I replied that it would likely last the whole season. He tells me that it will degrade and that I shouldn't store any acid. I replied that it isn't like I'm stocking up on liquid chlorine. He then informs me that acid loses it strength faster than liquid chlorine.

I asked him to explain the chemical process that causes it to degrade so fast. Just then our conversation was interrupted by him getting a phone call. As I'm leaving the store, I hear him telling the customer on the phone "Sorry to tell you this Mr. Xxxx, but it's time to drain that pool."

Pool store business as usual, sell lots of magic potions for lots of $$$, then when the pool has too much of XY or Z from the potions, time to drain and start over.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: HELP!!! My acid is degrading!

As you know, he is wrong. As noted here, hydrochloric acid has essentially an infinite shelf life.

Now there will be some small loss from venting if the bottle gets hot, but this is a relatively small amount. Nevertheless, it's important to store the acid in a well-ventilated area away from any metals as they will corrode from any acid that vents.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I've found the acid outlasts the plastic jug.

It wasn't me - the previous owner left a brittle jug behind. Handling it like a bomb enabled me to use it without disaster.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Lol, that is quite the mental picture
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!