Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saltwater system?

1. Back To Top    #1

Saltwater system?

trying to help my friend.
    she says:

I don't know anything about pools. My pool is green. There you go. And it is either 7000 or 10,000 gallons. Everything on the pool is brand-new the pump the timer saltwater system the filter
    ATT_1434492320143_image1.JPG
    let me know what I should ask her or tell her.
    thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saltwater system?

Huh?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

why cant I edit it now. im tryng to add a pic from my phone but can get to the edit page
    its telling me to register???? after i just edited it from there

ok on my permissions on my phones browser it says I cant do anything
    no post
    no edit
    no attachments
    no replys
    5,593 gallons of water at 80% capacity <Orlando, Florida>
    AG Intex Round Metal pole Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches (Intex A 16 X 48 F B02 11 01)
    Sand, SandPro 75 – 3/4 HP, 45GPM/2700GPH flow rate. GAM-4511 (Just days old 7/5/11)
    Crystal Clear Still

4. Back To Top    #4

Basically you need to not be a middle man and tell them to get on the forum for themselves.
    Unless you desire to drive us and you insane
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok well shes a little um I had better not say. don't want to break any rules. lol

please reread the top post
    AG Intex Round Metal pole Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches (Intex A 16 X 48 F B02 11 01)
    Sand, SandPro 75 – 3/4 HP, 45GPM/2700GPH flow rate. GAM-4511 (Just days old 7/5/11)
    Crystal Clear Still

6. Back To Top    #6

This is not going to work. There is far too much info for you to try to relay over TXT messages.

You have been a member for 4 years, so you should know the methods we teach and how to clear up a green pool with the SLAM process. Do they even have a good test kit?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I might have been a member for 4 years. But that doesn't mean I was active for 4 years. I didn't have any problems with my pool the whole time. Thanks to the skilled help I received here. Thanks again.
    I hate to have to say this but I know what the difference will be between me communicating to her and her bumbling her way through it.

Believe me you would rather have the communication lag then have to deal with her trying to comprehend.

If you will have just a little patience with this thread I'm sure things will go just fine.

I just don't know what to ask her to find out what you need to know about a salt water system. Do they all work about the same? Are there different systems that actually turn your pool into a large salt water tank or do they just produce Chloride with no salt in the swimming water?

So besides the testing equipment are there any other beginning questions that need to be asked to find the correct solution. Whew.

Thanks
    Crystal Clear Still

8. Back To Top    #8

With water like that ... the SWG is the last thing you need to worry about.

They need a test kit and then need to follow the SLAM process until they pass the 3 criteria to stop. Once all of that is done, then start to dial in the SWG.

At this point they have a 40% variation on pool size
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like she needs you to fix the pool for her. Forget about the SWG for now. Just get the pool in shape using the principles you have learned.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Um you never answered my question about salt water systems. Are there all the same and looks like you are saying just treat it as a normal chlorine pool and stop the green. Great I can explain that to her but can't do it for her because she's 200 miles away.

11. Back To Top    #11

So yes. In order to SLAM a pool, it is recommended to turn off the SWG and treat it like it was a normal bleach pool until after the SLAM is complete.

Basically with a SWG you add about 3000ppm of salt into the pool. The SWG then converts this salt to chlorine. When the chlorine breaks down it turns back into salt. The only thing that is lost in this process is a few molecules of water. They all work about the same though, as long as her unit is large enough to handle her pool.

The issue is with a pool in that state, it would kill her SWG cell trying to keep up, which it never will be able to.

Also read this: Recommended SWG Levels They are different than a normal pool. This is after the SLAM though. Again, during the SLAM, treat it as if it were a normal bleach pool.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

12. Back To Top    #12

Great that is all I need to know. Thanks