Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA loss from Texas rain

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA loss from Texas rain

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

Hey I'm having same problem. Scratching my head here in Austin. I had drained 40% of my pool due to really high cya (ignorant puck user pre-TFP). This reduced cya to 40 and all else was good (CH a bit low @ 140) until today (1 week later) when I just measured -40 after only 1.5" of rain! Water is clear. wth is going on? I tested twice thinking that surely I had screwed up. That's a huge drop in a week!

Test results from 6-16-15 after big rain (over an inch)

FC 0 (added 2 bottles bleach, 96oz ea of 8.25%). Now ~0.4

CC 0

pH 7.5

TA 50

CH 140

CYA -40 (was 40ppm just 5 days ago)

Water crystal clear - running pump 6 hrs / day with very good circ

Perplexed in Austin
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA loss from Texas rain

You might like to see this thread about rain and CYA loss: Question regarding CYA and rain storms.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA doesn't go lower than 0 (zero), how do you get -40?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Your pool is 17,000 gallons. 1.5" of rain in your size pool would be about... 400 gallons at the most. That's just over 2% water difference. You can see why most experts here would say even large amounts of rain will have a minimum effect on water chemistry.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

oh, duh... Just looked at my taylor tube again. the "-" next to the 30 is smaller than the rest so I read as -30 (neg). I understand now that it's just 30. Anyway, I'm filling the tube all the way and still clearly see the dot so I'm assuming that would be 0.

Still not understanding the dramatic drop (40 - 0) in 5 days.. In the meantime, I've added 4, 3" pucks to my skimmer basket to start getting that up. I'll definitely discontinue those once things are back to normal.

Thanks all

p.s. thanks, Splash, I'll have a look at that link
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just added ~4lbs Baking Soda to raise TA. Left the pump running and will test in the morning.

Still scratching head over the big drop in CYA (45 - 0) in 5 days. Besides adding the 4 pucks to skimmer, I added 7 (all I had on hand) to the in-line holder (I understand the pucks will not quickly raise CYA, so will take further action on that tomorrow as necessary).

7. Back To Top    #7

So you added 192oz of bleach and tested shortly after and your FC was only 0.4?

Do this, add enough bleach to theoretically bring your pool up to 10ppm. Test in 30 minutes. Report your results.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, it was 0.6 after 192oz. Strange. OK, will test tomorrow morning and then add accordingly (going by poolmath calc) to bring to 10 and report back. Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

OK things are looking better

Added ~4lbs Baking Soda last night and 1 gal 8.25% bleach this morning (meant to get enough to theoretically bring to 10ppm, but wasn't thinking and bought only 1 gal). Tested after a couple hours circ.

FC 5.2 (keep in mind that I also have 4 Leslie's pucks in skimmer bask and 7 in in-line holder since yesterday- in attempt to bring up cya)

Ph 7.5

Ta 80 (added ~4lbs baking soda yesterday to bring up from 50 - looking good)

CH 120 (has dropped - surely due to rain - will get this up)

Cya 30 (I think it's actually just a tad lower, but definitely up from 0). Still perplexed over what's going on here. Did use new 0013 reagent just bought today (same brand - Taylor). However, what I used for all previous tests was only a few weeks old and stored indoors.

CC 0

I'm wondering: I've been using cheap, $1 (from Mexico) HEB brand bleach (96oz). Today I used Clorox brand (1 gal). However, they both claim 8.25%. I'm hoping to continue using cheap brand as it's ~ 1/3 price (considering vol diff)

p.s. I also tested my tap. (n/a to this post, but I'd been meaning to do it): CH 50 and pH ~9

10. Back To Top    #10

The HEB "Bravo" bleach is fine. That's what I use.

As for the FC ... because there was a concern for your FC dropping very quickly, I "think" Scuba Steve was looking for ammonia in the water (he may chime-in later and confirm). Here's an example why from a previous thread: "If you do have ammonia in the pool the FC won't register - it's consumed almost instantly, and the CC is high. The solution is more chlorine - but if you want to confirm ammonia you can purchase an ammonia test kit from a pet supply store (its for fish tanks)."

How is your water looking today?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

I use the cheap HEB 1 gallon brand because the store sales alot ( big turn over ) so it seems it should be fresh. I wonder if there is a test we can do to determine the strength???
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok good to know i can continue to use cheap stuff.

Fc was registering, though low. CC is 0. Fc good today at 5.2. I will test tomorrow morning for fc loss. Water looks fantastic. Thanks for replies.