What size pool?

Re: 16 x 32 Big Enough?

Welcome to TFP! Where help comes quickly and opinions even faster!!! Just kidding! But you've come to the right place for advice and opinions!

I know you're asking the author of this thread, so forgive me for jumping in.... To me, it's a no-brainer! If you have the space, go 20x40! A few feet both ways can make a big difference in how it feels. And as I'm learning, almost no one wishes they had built a smaller pool. I've squeezed just about every inch I'm willing to use for our pool, and I'm glad. (and we don't have a big family - at all!). If I had a larger back yard, our pool would be bigger. And if I were younger, I'd move in a few years and get a much larger yard for a bigger pool!

But remember, it's your pool and no one else's! So get what brings you a smile and one you won't regret! Take care. Suz.

THank you for replying. we had a budget which i'm going over :( we were planning on not getting a heater this year and seeing how it went (based on our builder's feedback) but I've come to believe I NEED A HEATER! That's added another $2900 so my husband put that back in, then we laid out the pool in the yard with string and were surprised how small it looked. It was to be a free form pool. The price difference between the small and larger is $4600. Our builder says the 17x35 is bigger than we think so i'm struggling between do I save the $4600 which puts us over the budget for something that may really not be needed or do I try to suck up the extra cost. We have 2 girls 7 and 10 and I expect to have friends over quite regularly. I can't believe i'm stressing over the size of the pool.

my pool is free form 16x37. 7' of that is the spa so its actually 30' and I think it looks small even though everyone that sees it says its big. Most people here are going to tell you its small because the majority is from Texas and everything is bigger in Texas :).

I am putting a 16x32 in as we speak. We too were worried about it being too small and now that we have it installed, I am so glad we did not go bigger. The pool is plenty big for us and everyone who stops over comments on how big it is. Of course everyone has didn't needs and opinions so you need to find out what works for you. For what it's worth, we entertain a lot as well.

Mr. Wolfe

Reactions: tracy0074
Hi, I would ask your builder how many square feet your pool will be, and then ask if he can show you a pool that size. My pool is 34’4” x 23’5” - but, it's only 505 square feet. My daughter is 9 and that size is more than enough for her and 3 or 4 of her friends. If budget hadn't been a factor I would have definitely gone larger. Another thing to consider is depth. My shallow end starts at 4' and that seems to give us more usable space in the pool.

Ours is an 18 x 38 rectangle. Love the big size. If you want a big pool usually those with big pools will say they are the best. Plan a smaller one and those folks will be out in mass.
25 kids in the pool the other day - at least briefly. Not over crowded but busy (27K gallons). I'm mostly kidding here but the 1,000 gallons per person rule (though I've never heard it before) may apply.

There are going to extra costs as well outside the PB price. Gas line hook up may not be covered by the PB and yard recovery, fencing costs, upgrades on tile etc. So keep some budget dollars around for completion fine touches. We went 18 x42 (still building), but we are now hitting some of those additional costs. We went with 42 over 38 because we wanted extra shallow area with a diving area. The extra costs were easy to minimize and justify at quote time because because of the scale of the other costs.
Good move on the gas heater in this region, it will get you two extra months. And besides, the cost is so minimal compared to everything else .... oh wait...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Late to the game - but my pool is 33X17 and we were so worried it would be too small. Now that it is in the ground - it seems so big. We have a big backyard. (live on an acre) - but it still seems like a big pool . . .

If I had a million dollars I would have a pool and lazy river going around it - so I do think everything is relative :) But for us 33X17 (waterline to waterline) is pretty darn big.

Good luck, no matter what you decide you will LOVE it!

can anyone tell me what they think regarding maintenance? is it any more difficult/timeconsuming etc to maintain the bigger vs the 17x35? we've never owned a pool before. We did get the Polaris and it's a salt water pool - no chlorine. I know we will still have to use a skimmer I guess daily. did this factor into anyone's decision regarding their size?

Only real extra physical work is brushing. Note, people get excited about the comment "saltwater no chlorine". Both have the same amount of chlorine it's just added differently.

It cost less to maintain smaller (less gallons = less water/energy to pump and treat) Also less water to heat if you are heating. But it probably isn't a huge difference, I say get the one you WANT!

Our first pool was 18x36 and went from 3.5' - 6.5'. It was nice, but we entertain often and it got crowded. It was also a bit too short to do laps, which both my husband and I like to do. This pool was supposed to be about 20x40, but it is freeform and ending up more like 20x44 (18 at its narrowest and 25 at its widest where the sundeck will be). Much bigger than I had planned, but my husband is happy and kids are excited for a diving board. No matter what, I'll be floating in it with my margarita!

thanks for everyone's feedback! we ended up customizing the size a bit so we have 22 at the widest part and I think 40 length. It ended up being less than going with 20x40 overall and added the space exactly where I wanted it! Thankfully, the sales persons manager was there and help me with this as the excavation guys were literally standing there smoking cigarettes, waiting on me to decide! It looks like it's going to work out well. Keeping my fingers crossed it all comes together in the end. Looking forward to floating with my margarita as well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.