Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi, What is this and what is it for? Hayward Skim Master SP1070

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking Hi, What is this and what is it for? Hayward Skim Master SP1070

I believe this is a Hayward SP1070 Skimmer, but I can't find any online diagram that has this thing in it. It seems to be affixed pretty good-maybe that pin in the top? And can't get it to unscrew....? It doesn't look like any part of a Float Valve...is it?

Further, we're pretty sure the Main Drain is clogged. The hose is connected to the suction line and we think the other goes to the Main and doesn't seem to be connected to an Equalizer Line-not sure tho...

Yet, what is this other thing and what is it used for??

thx

SNC00606.jpgSNC00593.jpgSNC00605.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi, What is this and what is it for? Hayward Skim Master SP1070

Dalf, sorry you haven't received a reply as of yet. My post/reply might help get it refreshed in the cue so that it gets more visibility today. Hopefully a fellow TFP'er with experience in this particular item will know what it is. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

With the location of the pin, my guess would be that it rotates clockwise to latch something into the open port. Maybe something with a flange that sits down in the depression around the port which the disk locks in place.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you Tex!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thx JT!

Do you think one has to use an Allen/Hex wrench to turn it? I tried by hand-couldn't, but the pin is rusted and not sure it can even be done regardless of method. I'll still try tho I found out the house is a 1977.

We had to drain the pool via an adapter at this skimmer suction port because we feel that the drain could be clogged. Maybe the point you make is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Yet, how would one drain the pool? There must be a "T" to the pump..yes? One from the drain and the other from the skimmer into the pump. With the non-suction hole being an Equalizer Line.
    Is this/that how it is done?

Oh BTW, is it bad to leave a pool drained in the summertime here in AZ/10-20% humidity @ 110 degrees?? Having lived in the Southeast, I am familiar with ground water floating of pools. Here in Phoenix, ground water percolation isn't too much an issue...

Thank y'all again for being so helpful-I'm scoring points with my girlfriend over this...

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you figure this one out yet?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi, What is this and what is it for? Hayward Skim Master SP1070

Quote Originally Posted by DalF View Post

Oh BTW, is it bad to leave a pool drained in the summertime here in AZ/10-20% humidity @ 110 degrees?? Having lived in the Southeast, I am familiar with ground water floating of pools. Here in Phoenix, ground water percolation isn't too much an issue...

Thank y'all again for being so helpful-I'm scoring points with my girlfriend over this...
    Yes, it is not good. What surface type do you have? Plaster, pebbletek, vinyl?

Typically in AZ you only want to drain and expose plaster/pb-tek when the daytime temps are lower than 85F so as to avoid cracking the plaster surface due to temperature changes. That's usually after October and before April. If you do drain (partially) a pool, it's best to do it overnight and get it filled as quickly as possible. Any exposed plaster in the high heat should be kept wet with a water spray.

[EDIT]

You can also go get tarps or painter's plastic sheet and cover the surface. Something opaque would work best. Basically you need to keep the heat of the plaster and get the pool refilled as soon as possible.

[END EDIT]

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates