Childrens Pool

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

You can add salt, but that is not a sanitizer. You would still need to add chlorine. A "saltwater pool" as you may be thinking of is still a chlorine pool, but there is an added piece of equipment that converts the salt into chlorine.

For a pool that size, you just need to add 1ppm of FC (2 tsp of 8.25% bleach) before use ... and then dump and refill IMO.

Thank you Richard for your response. I'm new at this stuff and until I can afford a normal pool I'll stick with the child's size.
I just didn't want to be dumping the water and restarting a lot. Will Shock or the Brom. tablets help at all? If so, how much should I put in it or should I just do the 2 TBSP of chlorine?
Thanks for your help.

Once the shock hits the water, it turns into bleach anyway. I have zero experience with Bromine, can't answer that. I'm thinking you probably already have a jug of bleach sitting by the washing machine already. We're all about thriftiness here.

The bleach will keep bacteria away, but it won't do much for the dirt and dust that ends up in the pool. It'll end up looking like a dirty bathtub in a few days no matter how sanitary it is and you'll want to dump it just for aesthetics.

I don't know what your budget is, but you can get an Intex Easy Set 10 ft by 30 inch deep pool off Amazon for $60 complete with filter pump, add $10 for a basic OTO/pH test kit, about $10 in pool chemicals and a couple of old measuring spoons and you should be good to go for the summer. This assumes you have a level bit of yard to set it up on, better to add a few things like a ground cover pad, etc. But still you could get it all for under $150, or if the budget is a bit more than that they sell a nice 12x30 metal frame for $120.

Richard's idea of a little bleach and a quick mixing of the water is the best idea for your 170 gallon kids pool. But please remember tow things - the sun will remove the chlorine in several hours, but don't add a bunch thinking it will last - it doesn't.

Plus one of the most important things is in Richard's signature - "A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!" -Chlorine is your pools food, feed it every day

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.