Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaky valve replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaky valve replacement

I'm new to PVC work, and need some tips on replacing a leaky jandy valve at my pump station. Whats the best strategy for plumbing in a new one? A friend of mine suggested the 4 90 degree elbow trick that I've seen people use to fix underground pipes. Is this my best option?

Leaky valve:
    ValveLeak.jpg
    18K gal, IG plaster w/ infinity edge, Pump1: Single speed 1hp w/ Triton II Sand Filter, Pump2: Two speed 1hp w/ Triton II Sand Filter, Pump3: Two speed 1hp w/ no filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG w/ RC-42 cell, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaky valve replacement

Just out of curiosity, have you ruled-out simply rebuilding that one? I believe Jandy kits are available at many places and would save you trouble of cutting it out - unless of course you really do want a different type of valve. Just a thought.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow that's a lot of plumbing......to replace that one valve all you need is one coupling. Cut the valve out, and extend with a coupling if needed. So you would need a piece of pipe too. Not much
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Pat, the valve itself is fine, it's the joint between it and the pvc that is leaking.

Ethany, how would I be able to cram a coupling back in there? I don't think there is enough give in that short section of vertical pipe.
    18K gal, IG plaster w/ infinity edge, Pump1: Single speed 1hp w/ Triton II Sand Filter, Pump2: Two speed 1hp w/ Triton II Sand Filter, Pump3: Two speed 1hp w/ no filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG w/ RC-42 cell, TF100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you tried putting some PVC glue on the joint while there isn't water pressure on it? My be a bandaid for a while. I also saw a company that sells a pvc sleeve that slips over and gets glued on. Otherwise you may have to remove a couple pieces to make it all fit back together.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

6. Back To Top    #6

Jandy valves are dual-diameter. You can either stick pipe into the valve, or a fitting over the valve. Just saw it off, glue a coupling on using the other diameter, and then a reducer to get it back to the original size.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Lift up on that 90..... All you need is to raise it a few inches to get that coupling in there. You can enough play
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner