Retaining wall & drain pipe question

Jun 12, 2012
We are putting a retaining wall on the north side of our pool where it is a foot roughly below grade. Question is we will be installing 4" perforated drain pipe on the pool side. Is it necessary to also install drain pipe behind the retaining wall? The wall will be about 14" high at the highest part then taper down to 4".

I've only seen them installed behind walls. Two walls on my property, one by the pool and one elsewhere have it behind them at the base and covered in rock to within 6" of the top of the wall, then landscape fabric, then soil. The goal is to reduce pressure on the wall. Having drain pipe on the downhill side of the wall does not serve that or uproar that I see. Though I'm no expert by far, just my homeowner experiences.

Being a very short wall you might get away with it.
Usually the drain pipe is on the backside of the wall where the water would be caught.
If it is a landscape block wall, placing the odd weep hole between blocks would prevent a dam effect.
Lets the water escape and get to the drain pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.