Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Retaining wall & drain pipe question

1. Back To Top    #1

Retaining wall & drain pipe question

We are putting a retaining wall on the north side of our pool where it is a foot roughly below grade. Question is we will be installing 4" perforated drain pipe on the pool side. Is it necessary to also install drain pipe behind the retaining wall? The wall will be about 14" high at the highest part then taper down to 4".
    24'x52" AG Asahi Evolution resin pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Central MD

Re: Retaining wall & drain pipe question

I've only seen them installed behind walls. Two walls on my property, one by the pool and one elsewhere have it behind them at the base and covered in rock to within 6" of the top of the wall, then landscape fabric, then soil. The goal is to reduce pressure on the wall. Having drain pipe on the downhill side of the wall does not serve that or uproar that I see. Though I'm no expert by far, just my homeowner experiences.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

3. Back To Top    #3
    Spring, TX

Re: Retaining wall & drain pipe question

Being a very short wall you might get away with it.
    Usually the drain pipe is on the backside of the wall where the water would be caught.
    If it is a landscape block wall, placing the odd weep hole between blocks would prevent a dam effect.
    Lets the water escape and get to the drain pipe.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir