Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above Ground Pool owners, what is the best automatic pool cleaner??

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Pool owners, what is the best automatic pool cleaner??

I have (had) an aquabug, never cleaned well for me. Looking for something that will work even if it costs a little more!!
    I have to have one with a long cord because my pool is 32 x 18 most of the aquabots are for smaller pools has anyone used a dolphin on a AGP?
    18'x33' Oval Azor 54" Resin Above Ground Pool, approx. 20000 gal., Hayward 21" sand filter w/1.5 hp 2-Speed Pump, 150K BTU NAT GAS HEATER, Saltron® Retro Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Auqa Bug, Taylor K-2006 test kit, K-1766 Salt Water test kit, Opened 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Above Ground Pool owners, what is the best automatic pool cleaner??

While there is no "best" cleaner, there is a tendency to buy more cleaning power as you pay more money for the cleaner.

That's a pretty good size pool and I wouls suggest you need a robot somewhere in the 500-800 dollar range to keep your pool in really good shape. A Dolphin in that price range would work well but other brands will, also.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 33' round AGP and I use a Red Leopard Orbit cleaner in mine. I let it run 4-5 hrs, every other day when the pump is on and have been very pleased at how clean it stays all the time. Without the Orbit, there is a couple of "dead" spots in the pool where I feel it doesn't get good circulation due to the fact that I only have one skimmer & return but the Orbit keeps the water mixed very well. I also have a huge pecan tree about 20 ft away that drops stuff in the pool from time to time. I use a battery powered cleaner with a bag on my telescoping pole for things like sticks and pecans and then let the Orbit pick up anything else. One day, I may invest in a robot to pick up the larger stuff instead of the battery powered one but so far can't justify the price difference.
    33’ Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the Aquabot s250
    The yellow one with 4 wheels for my 16x32 oval A.G pool.
    Prices range from 375 or so to 475 depending where you look on the net, even walmart, bought mine through WayFair only because I had enough " reward points"
    Plenty of cord ,I think you might even be able to order 2 versions, one with a shorter cable or longer .
    The elastic band on the 2 bags will deteriorate after 2 years and will not stretch tight around the inlet ports.
    I now use zip ties for those.
    Will run for 1 or 2 hours, doesn't climb walls,after running for awhile always wants to stay in one end of pool so you will have to re position at the other end.
    Doesn't pick up silt, but then I have found nothing that really does other than my pool blaster and installing a micro bag and in that add a skimmer sock,works well but clogs easy.Hate to drag out vac. hose and lose water.
    Never had a problem with the Aquabot.Cord very rarely if ever tangles.Comes with 2 styles of bags, always used the finer ones, I don't have trees to worry about leaves or larger debris.
    Always, as with anything open up and let the sun dry out when finished.
    I wish DeWalt would make battery operated vacuum, one that actually runs as long as they claim.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you everyone!!
    18'x33' Oval Azor 54" Resin Above Ground Pool, approx. 20000 gal., Hayward 21" sand filter w/1.5 hp 2-Speed Pump, 150K BTU NAT GAS HEATER, Saltron® Retro Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Auqa Bug, Taylor K-2006 test kit, K-1766 Salt Water test kit, Opened 2014