Switching from hth tablets to TFPC

Happy Dad

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2015
Eastern Nebraska
Hello all and thanks again for all of the wonderful information on this site!!

I started with a small plastic kiddie pool, then a 10' easy set, then a 12' easy set and this year a 15' x 42" Intex metal frame pool. I figured I'd start taking chemistry seriously instead of just using the tabs in the floater and shocking every Sunday night as I'm sure I'll continue to go larger. I have been using 1" hth chlorinating tablets to maintain chlorine level, 4 per day. I purchased bleach but I will probably use up my shock pack of 47.6% calcium hypochlorite first as I hate throwing stuff away and then save the 1" tablets for my 42" kiddie pool foot bath that the ladder sits in.

Pool was set up Memorial weekend and water is currently sparkling clear.

I just bought a 14" Intex sand filter but now realize I need fittings so that is still on hold until the fittings arrive, hopefully by the weekend. I also bought a K-2006 complete FAS-DPD test kit.

Here are my results:
FC = 2.2
CC = 0
pH = 7.6
Alk = 170
CYA = less than 30
Hardness = 100

I have 16oz of the shock 'n swim (47.6% calcium hypochlorite) to use up before starting with the bleach. Per the pool calculator I added 1 ounce today. If that trend continues the pack will be gone in about two weeks or so.

Am I on the right path? Will this hth shock 'n swim raise the CYA much or should I go buy some stabilizer also?

Cal-hypo will not raise your CYA, it will only raise your FC and CH (hardness). I would add more stabilizer to get it to 40 ppm and then continue with bleach after that.

Congrats on the great test kit and a great headstart on keeping the pool sparkling!

You can use up the rest of the cal-hypo also as your CH is low and CH is not critical for vinyl/AG pools. Just keep in mind once your CYA is 40 ppm, your FC minimum is 3 ppm.

Last edited:
Cal-hypo will not raise your CYA, it will only raise your FC and CH (hardness). I would add more stabilizer to get it to 40 ppm and then continue with bleach after that.

Congrats on the great test kit and a great headstart on keeping the pool sparkling!

You can use up the rest of the cal-hypo also as your CH is low and CH is not critical for vinyl/AG pools. Just keep in mind once your CYA is 40 ppm, your FC minimum is 3 ppm.

Thanks! I just noticed on the bag it says "other ingredients 52.4%" and then in the directions it says "won't over stabilize your pool" which led me to think it may add CYA. I'll grab some stabilizer from Menards on the way home from work tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.