suddenly very high copper and calcium hardness?!!

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
OK so I thought I had this pool thing down but now I am perplexed....
See below parameters.
Water test on June 13th (at pool store)
FC 3 TC 3.31 ph 8 CH 238 Alk 63 CYA 60 Copper 0.1 Iron 0.1 THese numbers have been pretty consistent with all the water tests I've done
Pretty good over all. Been adding Muriatic Acid regularly, adjusting SWG.
Only thing that seemed a little low was CH- I used pool calculator and to get up to around 300 (goal 250-350) said to add 19 pounds of CH
I only added 5.
So, I test my water today (at a different pool store)
FC 1.61 TC 1.61 ph 8.4 CH 417 Alk 73 CYA 63 Copper 2.9 Iron 1.6
Wait, WHAT!!!?? CH 417 Copper 2.9 Iron 1.6
I know what you're thinking- pool store made a mistake, scam, etc. THat was my first thought.
Problem is, I tested it against the home test - all the things that I can test - they are right
PH, chlorine, CH, CYA- all spot on . SO can they be right about the copper too???
SO now I 'm heading to a different store to check copper...

THe only things that were done between these 2 readings were 5 pounds of CH , and we had heavy rains.
Any ideas????

Bad testing. That would be a ridiculously high copper and iron level.

What test kit do YOU have? Stop going to pool stores for their worthless testing.

EDIT: Although, you have a Nature 2 and if you did not remove the metal portion as TFP recommends .... who know how high your copper level is.

I'm testing with the home test that trouble-free pool recommends I forget the name of it but it's the one on the website. As per trouble free pools recommendations I don't even use the mineral cartridge

- - - Updated - - -

I don't trust the pool store either sometimes I just get it checked to check against my readings but how else can I check copper and iron if not at the pool store?
And I don't have groundwater by the way since I know that something that can cause copper to go up. I have a granite pool. The calcium hardness perplexes me also. That I did confirm with the home test kit. Anyway I'm on my way to another pool store just to get the copper checked again.

Yes that is correct there is no mineral cartridge in my nature to at all. Is there a possibility that the calcium hardness could've been contaminated with something? I know that's reaching but I really have no other explanation. Well I guess I won't get too crazy until I see what the other stores testing says. I will keep you posted should have an answer in about a half an hour. Though even if they show no copper it still doesn't explain why my calcium hardness went up so high. I know you might say just that I calculated wrong but you have no idea how anal retentive I am I triple checked my Calculations

A copper level above 0.3 can cause staining ... a level of 3.0 seems practically impossible to happen by accident.

Have you ever had metal staining? Have you been adding metals? If not, then don't worry about it.

Just like the 2 CH numbers are so different. A 3rd store is going to be different again. Just test your own water with the good test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay lesson learned from a newbie. I shouldn't have even bothered posting until I got the second reading it is still down at zero. I know I can't trust this pool store reading either but it makes more sense that my Copper would be at zero instead of at three. I do have two residual questions though. My hardness is around 425 based on my home test. The water is not cloudy though is there any danger with this? Can I just leave it alone? Also i've had to pool stores and one Internet blog suggest that a water heater can raise copper overtime. Is this something I need to worry about in the future?

People have CH much higher than that, just keep you pH in line and you should be good. The heater is the same thing, pH way out of whack can erode the copper pipes. So, the answer is good pH control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.