Debris Coming Out Return

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
When you have debris (pieces of leaves, dirt, etc) coming out of the return is that most likely a bad gasket on the multiport or something else. Originally, I had though it might be a cracked "finger" or whatever those little things are called in the bottom of the sand filter, but once I started seeing larger debris I couldn't quite see that size debris working its way through the sand. Any thoughts?

Riles

Sorry it took me so long, but here are some pics.

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4438-1.jpg

Did you open up the multiport yet? The problem is either in the valve or the filter. The S200 doesn't have any penetrations in the lateral assembly above the sand level, so you'd be getting a lot of sand back in if the filter was the problem.

Yes, I did open up the multiport and it looks OK to me, but I'm not sure what that gasket should look like. There were no obvious tears or anything like that. Should that gasket have some thickness to it? It is possible that it is evenly worn, but I do not have anything to compare it to.

The corner of the pump basket is broken off and I need to replace that, so that is letting leaves and some larger debris to get past the basket and into the pump/filter, but I thought it should still be finding its way into the sand filter and then stopping.

The gasket should be in the track, not warped looking, not bloated. If you touch it and your finger comes away black go ahead and replace it for good measure. You should also have good tension on the spring on the diverter assembly. If it is sticky or corroded, change out the spring and the shaft o-ring(s).

IF the leaves got into the filter they should be stopped by the sand, and like I said before, if the problem is in the tank you should have noticeable sand build up in the pool.

Since the basket has a hole in it, reach back through the strainer pot and feel the impeller to make sure there aren't a bunch of leaves stuck in it. You may need to clear it out.

Agreed with all above that if you had a damaged lateral, you would be getting sand back into the pool, at least classically. I'm wondering if the sand has "channeled" so that the debris is bypassing the media, and you have a damaged lateral. How old is the sand? Is there a difference in filter pressure between "filter" and "recirculate"?

Going with Occam's Razor, I'd suspect the multiport valve first, though. A faulty spider gasket is not always misshapen. :|

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.