Baker Hydro Skimmer Questions

May 6, 2015
Chickasha, OK
Well, I finally got my water all balanced, thanks to you fine folks!

Now it's time to address some issues that, well, I didn't think were issues. Joining TFP has me re-examining everything about my pool.

Let me get to the situation:

I have two (2) Baker Hydro Skimmers in my pool. One in the shallow end, one in the deep end. Since I moved into this house, neither has had a complete skimmer weir (i.e., both are broken pretty much in half). Does anyone know where I could locate a reasonably-priced weir for these skimmers? It seems Baker uses a specific design (hydrofoil?).

I also have two (2) of the Hydro-Control Plates. I have only been using those when I vacuum the pool. One in the shallow end, stopped up, then the one in the deep end with the vacuum hose, inserted in the correct position (it took me a summer of having precious little suction before I realized there is a "Normal Use" and "Vacuum" position for the Control Plates). Baker Hydro's website seems to suggest these Control Plates should be used all the time with the skimmers. Is that what I should be doing?

COBrien, sorry you haven't received a reply as of yet. Perhaps we just haven't been able to find someone with specific Baker-Hydro experience. I do know that others have exchanged information on TFP about replacing typical skimmer weirs, etc with after-market products. I hope you receive a constructive reply soon from a fellow TFP'er who has experience in this item. Have a nice day.

COBrien, sorry you haven't received a reply as of yet. Perhaps we just haven't been able to find someone with specific Baker-Hydro experience. I do know that others have exchanged information on TFP about replacing typical skimmer weirs, etc with after-market products. I hope you receive a constructive reply soon from a fellow TFP'er who has experience in this item. Have a nice day.

I didn't see much about the Baker Hydros in my cursory glances through the forum, so I figured this post would be sort of a long shot. :D

The prices for those Baker Hydro weirs are pretty high. I think I'd try one of the generic replacements and see if it'd work. I don't think the exact shape is all that critical.

I know. I'm wondering if they're even making these skimmers any more, given the outrageous prices for replacement parts. A Baker-specific skimmer bag (sock/pre-filter) is $76!! The WaterCo website (apparently they took over Baker Hydro at some point...) shows a copyright date of 2011...

Perhaps it would help if I posted a picture of what I'm talking about. Maybe some other brand of skimmer uses a similar system...

Baker%20Hydro%20Skimmer_zps94qcepmu.png

Well, looking at that again, it doesn't seem to suggest it should be used all the time. But I found something yesterday that did...

I ordered up some replacement weirs today. They have spring-loaded (I'm assuming...) clips that hold them into the original holes in the housing.

However, it seems Baker Hydro attaches the weir to the skimmer housing with a metal rod (at least according to all the documentation I've found online...).

Does anyone have any idea how that rod is supposed to be removed so I can install my new weirs? I don't want to go just pulling on stuff until it comes loose. That's how expensive things get broken at my house. :eek:

Just as a quick update...

My replacement weirs came in yesterday, so I got to work figuring out how to remove the old one in my deep end skimmer. It turns out there is no metal rod holding the weir in place. There were, however, small clips in the front (pool side) of the weir toward the bottom at each end. Those have to be removed, then a long flat blade screwdriver inserted between the side of the weir and the skimmer throat at the very bottom.

I ended up breaking off one corner of the weir, as it was quite old and very brittle. But this allowed it to come out quite easily.

The new weirs went in with "spring clips" which engaged the holes much more easily than I expected once the weir was slid into position.

My skimmers are now functioning as they should, and I have a good, strong flow of water across them. Hopefully these new weirs will help with the "cottonwood skin".

I have had this skimmer on the pool since I bought the house (five years ago). I remove the skimmer after I vacuum every week to empty the basket below. However, now the skimmer appears to be jammed in and I cannot move it. It will not rotate and I cannot pull it straight up. I have tried with and without the pump on. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a solution>?

Are you talking about the clear plastic skimmer plate that goes over the skimmer basket/sock thing?

If so, mine get stuck all the time. I only use them when vacuuming though. To get them loose, I use a pair of lineman's pliers and gently pull up one side and once it breaks loose, it's easy to remove.

I think it's some kind of suction that causes it, but it occurs even when I remove the rubber plug.

I noticed the plate has a hole in one of the " fins" where you could put a cord or zip tie that would provide a much better handle and probably eliminate the need to use pliers. I've just been too lazy to try it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.