Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baker Hydro Skimmer Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Baker Hydro Skimmer Questions

Well, I finally got my water all balanced, thanks to you fine folks!

Now it's time to address some issues that, well, I didn't think were issues. Joining TFP has me re-examining everything about my pool.

Let me get to the situation:

I have two (2) Baker Hydro Skimmers in my pool. One in the shallow end, one in the deep end. Since I moved into this house, neither has had a complete skimmer weir (i.e., both are broken pretty much in half). Does anyone know where I could locate a reasonably-priced weir for these skimmers? It seems Baker uses a specific design (hydrofoil?).

I also have two (2) of the Hydro-Control Plates. I have only been using those when I vacuum the pool. One in the shallow end, stopped up, then the one in the deep end with the vacuum hose, inserted in the correct position (it took me a summer of having precious little suction before I realized there is a "Normal Use" and "Vacuum" position for the Control Plates). Baker Hydro's website seems to suggest these Control Plates should be used all the time with the skimmers. Is that what I should be doing?
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baker Hydro Skimmer Questions

COBrien, sorry you haven't received a reply as of yet. Perhaps we just haven't been able to find someone with specific Baker-Hydro experience. I do know that others have exchanged information on TFP about replacing typical skimmer weirs, etc with after-market products. I hope you receive a constructive reply soon from a fellow TFP'er who has experience in this item. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The prices for those Baker Hydro weirs are pretty high. I think I'd try one of the generic replacements and see if it'd work. I don't think the exact shape is all that critical.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    COBrien, sorry you haven't received a reply as of yet. Perhaps we just haven't been able to find someone with specific Baker-Hydro experience. I do know that others have exchanged information on TFP about replacing typical skimmer weirs, etc with after-market products. I hope you receive a constructive reply soon from a fellow TFP'er who has experience in this item. Have a nice day.
    I didn't see much about the Baker Hydros in my cursory glances through the forum, so I figured this post would be sort of a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    The prices for those Baker Hydro weirs are pretty high. I think I'd try one of the generic replacements and see if it'd work. I don't think the exact shape is all that critical.
    I know. I'm wondering if they're even making these skimmers any more, given the outrageous prices for replacement parts. A Baker-specific skimmer bag (sock/pre-filter) is $76!! The WaterCo website (apparently they took over Baker Hydro at some point...) shows a copyright date of 2011...

Perhaps it would help if I posted a picture of what I'm talking about. Maybe some other brand of skimmer uses a similar system...

Well, looking at that again, it doesn't seem to suggest it should be used all the time. But I found something yesterday that did...
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

5. Back To Top    #5

My bet is that most of that "special hydrofoil shaped weir" is just marketing. My weir looks a lot like that and it skims a 'thin' sheet of the surface also.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered up some replacement weirs today. They have spring-loaded (I'm assuming...) clips that hold them into the original holes in the housing.

However, it seems Baker Hydro attaches the weir to the skimmer housing with a metal rod (at least according to all the documentation I've found online...).

Does anyone have any idea how that rod is supposed to be removed so I can install my new weirs? I don't want to go just pulling on stuff until it comes loose. That's how expensive things get broken at my house.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just as a quick update...

My replacement weirs came in yesterday, so I got to work figuring out how to remove the old one in my deep end skimmer. It turns out there is no metal rod holding the weir in place. There were, however, small clips in the front (pool side) of the weir toward the bottom at each end. Those have to be removed, then a long flat blade screwdriver inserted between the side of the weir and the skimmer throat at the very bottom.

I ended up breaking off one corner of the weir, as it was quite old and very brittle. But this allowed it to come out quite easily.

The new weirs went in with "spring clips" which engaged the holes much more easily than I expected once the weir was slid into position.

My skimmers are now functioning as they should, and I have a good, strong flow of water across them. Hopefully these new weirs will help with the "cottonwood skin".

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad the replacement weirs worked out so well and really appreciate you posting about the result.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator