Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going Out of Town

1. Back To Top    #1

Going Out of Town

I'm going out of town for several days and also need to raise my CYA a bit. If I add enough Dichlor to cover the 3-4 days it will add just the right amount of CYA I also need based on the pool calculator. Any problems in doing this?

Thanks in advance!
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    9700 gallon outdoor in-ground 11x26' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter;
    Pentair MasterTemp 400 natural gas heater; 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going Out of Town

Certainly can be done. The tablets/pucks can/will raise CYA slightly (also lower PH slightly). Perhaps not a lot for just a few days, but a little. Shouldn't hurt anything, especially if your CYA is already on the low side.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You can, as long as you know what it does and you account for it then it is fine. For several days though I would personally float some trichlor pucks instead.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! The only reason I was going to take the dichlor route was the pucks I have dissolve really slowly and when I used them in the past were having a hard time keeping up with the daily chlorine amount needed? I guess I can test the pucks over the next day or so to see if they can keep up. It's been 110 out here in Vegas and don't want to come back to a green swamp.
    9700 gallon outdoor in-ground 11x26' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter;

5. Back To Top    #5

But it's a dry heat! Rancho, Class of '81.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL! Is there a formula for how many pucks to keep up with 2.5-3 units a day? Also, does flow have anything to do with chlorine loss? For some reason it seems during the period when I'm running my pump at a lower speed, if I run it at 1000 rpm instead of 1500 rpm chlorine loss seems higher. Does that make sense?

7. Back To Top    #7

Rather than try to reinvent the chemical additive numbers (which I'd probably mess up), here are a couple good links that speak about tablets and CYA:
    3 CH tablet - effect on CYA and FC level?
    Why / How do chlorine tablets raise CYA?

I'm actually not aware of pump speed effecting FC loss, but I'll do some research myself.

8. Back To Top    #8

I did a test with 3 pucks and it couldn't keep up with my daily chlorine loss. Shouldn't 3 pucks in a 9700 gallon pool be able to keep up with 2-3 units a day or are they just crummy pucks? FYI ... they are from Sams Club.