Should I use cement pavers under Intex legs?

Jun 15, 2015
Fort Pierce, FL
So I'm setting up my new 16x48 AG Intex Ultra Frame Pool. My first attempt consisted of "That looks like a good spot" and setting up, filling with water, and then standing back and seeing TOTAL chaos. poolbefore.jpg

Now I have read a little more in this particular section of the forum and have seen what it really takes to level out an area and then set up. It is finishing draining today and I plan to move it out of the way so i can prep the area. I am going to get a long level and a 2x4 and dig up the grass(it was sporadic and half dead anyway) and measure out the area and fill in with dirt from other parts of my yard. Should I get some cement pavers to set the legs on? I did 2x4's on the back legs originally (they fell over under the legs as you can see in the very back). I have just seen people say yes and no but I want my pool to last a long time. Thanks for any tips on set up, levelling, and the pavers. You guys are awesome.

Hello there! Glad you took the water out! Scary stuff there!

First thing--------yeah get the grass out BUT do NOT build up low areas. Take the high spots down! You want solid ground under your pool. Sand/dirt can/will shift and move.

Yes you DO want pavers under your legs. That will keep them from sinking. The pavers need to be level with the ground so they do not poke your liner.

The ground prep is a lot of work BUT it will pay off in the end!

Kim

Thanks Kim I JUST read you respond similarly to the person that is trying to choose and AG pool, I am trying to do my research! Thankfully I have a set of good friends to help me but we are all kinda going in blind. I am nervous of the work to be done but I want it done right so I can enjoy my pool for many years. I had NO IDEA it would be this much work, until I tried for myself, but so thankful I found this website!

Will something like this work to support my uprights?

5632c278-2345-45a2-b2ef-247033b8bf2f_400.jpg
I will dig out instead of adding in, thank you.

I used to live in Tallahassee ----,----,--> Go NOLES!

How big is that? You want it big enough that IF (or when) the leg shifts as the water is added it will not come off of the paver. I THINK we have 12x12 under our uprights. It was a long time ago and they are covered with sand and white rock.

When you are ready to to do the prep have plenty of shovels, a LONG 2x4 to tape a long level to, string to mark the area, paint to paint each high spot so someone can work on it while you pull the board around.

Oh and beer! Lots and lots of beer LOL

Kim

Thank you Kim!! Great tips we will start on this tomorrow, praying to be swimming for Father's Day so my dad can come enjoy the pool before he leaves town all summer! Lots of beer will definitely be had!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I haven't bought any pavers yet just quick searched Home Depot to make sure I was on the same page as you, I'll make sure to get at least 12x12 size

Thanks Richard I read the other post I just feel so discouraged right now I don't know if I can do this :( I will show my friend the water level and see if he can come up with something. I want it to be perfect but it's kinda hard when I don't know what I'm doing

In my signature is a link to my pool build. Has allot of photos that might help you. My spot for the pool was close to level since I had put my previous pools in the same spot and leveled those pools each time I installed them so I used the 2x4 and the level which worked for me. Your area looks more un-level than what I had to start with this year so a water level might be the way to go and they are cheap to create. Spend the time to get the pool site level, cant stress that enough. I used pavers and since you want to keep the pool up for a long time I would suggest using them. The pavers I used were the 12x12 pavers that were an 1 1/2" thick. The price at my local Lowes was about 1.29 per paver. Good Luck and ask questions ... A lot of good people here to answer them for you ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please do I would appreciate that, I feel like information overload right now + don't know what I'm doing + tight budget + want to swim = FRUSTRATION but I know I will get my pool up and everything will be ok. But yes I would love to see some relevant posts on levelling for more ideas.

You can also put together the top metal ring of the pool by itself and orientate it as you want. The bottom of the T's will show you where to place your pavestones. This is of course after the hard work of leveling the ground. You'll get there. I got a aunt uncle two cousins their wives and children who also live in fort pierce. My mom grew up there. Godspeed

The water level that Richard showed is the best way to get a level area. I used yardsticks that were free in the paint section at Ace Hardware, and they sold the tubing there, too.
Don't skimp on the tubing... You want lots of empty tubing at both ends. That way it won't accidently overflow if you lift one end a little too high.
The 4ft. Carpenters level was much less help, and much more frustration than we anticipated.

And answering your initial question, yes, pavers make a big, big difference!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.