Mustard algae help!!!

bmbw92

May 19, 2015
Cleveland, OH
Hello, have been on tfp for a while but never had a need to post. I have been fighting mustard algae for over a month now and try to eliminate it by slaming the pool. I thought that I killed all of the algae. I was keeping my fc anywhere from 5-7 for two weeks once I thought it was gone. However we just got an inch of rain and the pool is back with zero chlorine left. I try to keep as many chemicals out of my pool as possible so I haven't resorted to an algaecide like most people use. I test my FC twice a day using dfd powder for accurate readings. I have a Taylor test kit. I have been just using liquid chlorine and my salt water cell for fighting this. I have a fiberglass pool so brushing the algae off is a breeze. Should I resort to an algaecide like yellow out? Thanks.

About the LAST thing I would suggest you put in your pool is algaecide. It is NEVER suggested on this forum......where did you read that most people use it.

Do you know for a fact you have mustard algae? Regardless, algae only exists in pools that have inadequate chlorine at some point or another.

We can help you get your water perfectly sparkling but you will have to help us by posting a complete set of test results from that Taylor kit. How old is it?

Welcome! Lots of things to address here, so let me try to do so:
- Which "Taylor" kit do you have? K2006? You seem to mention the powder (I'm assuming you meant "FAS-DPD. Can you confirm please?
- If you had algae and you SLAMmed in accordance with TFP instructions, it would not be back just because of some rain. I've been getting hit with rain in Texas constantly and my pool is crystal. I can say that your comment of keeping FC at 5-7 while SLAMming confirms you did not meet the TFP SLAM requirements (see the Chlorine/CYA chart (Link below).
- Algaecide - no way. You're correct by not resorting to fancy pool store products that will only take your money.
- I too have a FB pool. They are nice. Easy to clean, but won't prevent algae from growing when the FC gets low. :(

I would recommend you post a full set of test numbers for us (FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH) so we have a full picture of your water quality. Make sure these are your tests though and not the pool store's. :)

Also take a moment to review the links below (especially SLAM and the Chlorine/CYA Chart). I suspect you will use them quite a bit soon.

And finally, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. We're very happy to have you at TFP. All the questions we ask you back is only to help you. :)

Sorry for wording my situation weird. I have a tf100 that i purchased about two months ago because I wanted to upgrade this season. We were slamming it and passed the overnight test holding around 14-16 ppm. I meant to say that I keep my fc when swimming around 5-7. Ph is always 7.2 -7.4 which I find odd because last year it was always around 7.6 -7.8 and i had to add muratic acid. Here are current results
Ph 7,0 (low because of rain I'm guessing. I run my deck jets which raises it)
fc 4.0
cc 0
ch 300
cya 75 (salt water pool so stayed in the recommended 60-80 on the instructions)
ta 90

No worries, thanks for the fresh numbers. Before I forget, here's a neat thread on Mustard Algae you should read: Mustard Algae

The one thing that catches my eye is your FC at 4. With a CYA of 75 (round-up to 80) that is your absolute minimum. Ideal target FC is 6. SLAM level FC is 31! Wow. Did you keep your FC at 31 for the entire SLAM?

Aside from the SLAM itself, on a regular day, if you ever allowed your FC to drop below 4, then it's understandable your water started to change - even if for a short time.

Let us know your thoughts and/or confirm so we can proceed to try and assist.

- - - Updated - - -

Re-reading your last post, I think the SLAM FC may be the "key". You SLAMmed at 14-16, but if you look at the Chlorine/CYA chart for SWG pools, the SLAM is indeed 31. You would've had to maintain that level until all 3 SLAM criteria were passed.

No worries, thanks for the fresh numbers. Before I forget, here's a neat thread on Mustard Algae you should read: Mustard Algae

The one thing that catches my eye is your FC at 4. With a CYA of 75 (round-up to 80) that is your absolute minimum. Ideal target FC is 6. SLAM level FC is 31! Wow. Did you keep your FC at 31 for the entire SLAM?

Aside from the SLAM itself, on a regular day, if you ever allowed your FC to drop below 4, then it's understandable your water started to change - even if for a short time.

Let us know your thoughts and/or confirm so we can proceed to try and assist.

- - - Updated - - -

Re-reading your last post, I think the SLAM FC may be the "key". You SLAMmed at 14-16, but if you look at the Chlorine/CYA chart for SWG pools, the SLAM is indeed 31. You would've had to maintain that level until all 3 SLAM criteria were passed.

I just added another gallon of shock and its up to 8.5ppm. I never got it above 20ppm during the first slam. I am going to pressure wash my solar cover with a very diluted chlorine to clean it.

That's a good idea. Please remember, and we see this all the time ...... if/when you ever do need to SLAM, make sure you're matching your CYA to the proper FC level on the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below). Sometimes readers overlook the difference between the top & bottom chart, or simply mis-read their row in a hurry. It's tough to SLAM when your CYA is that high, however your pool doesn't look too bad, so if you do need to SLAM again, the sooner the better and it may be a short-lived SLAM compare to others who had to go a week or two ... or more. Good luck, and have a good evening.

The pool was cloudy when I pulled the solar cover off this morning. I vacuumed and brushed the pool about three hours ago and it developed a green tint. The first time the algae came around it would grow back really fast but I see no growth developing so far.

Now that you say that, and simply because you are seeing the green tint/powder starting to form, I would waste no time at all doing a SLAM. When you see it getting a green tint, the algae is there. :( It you get that FC up to 31 now (a bit of bleach I know), and leave it there diligently while brushing, etc, you might wrap-up the SLAM in good time. But the longer you leave that substance in the water, the harder it will be to resolve later. Just remember to leave it (FC) at 31 ppm until you pass all 3 criteria.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can see green from the algae you can be certain of two things - there is a lot of algae and it is multiplying very quickly. You didn't say what you have been doing the last few weeks, but the chlorine needs time. Time to slow the growth then kill what is remaining. Unfortunately the maintaining part the SLAM is the hardest and longest but the most important part. If you are able to keep it at the SLAM levels it will kill it all.

Brushing the pool will help speed the process. Just stick with it, follow the process and it will work.

It takes time with FC at shock level and brushing to kill algae. My pool has been TFP crystal clear and perfect for 3 years. I got algae a few weeks ago because I let FC drop below minimum for a couple of days. It took about a week of SLAMing with FC at 28ish and CYA at 70 to totally get rid of it. Brush at least once per day. Keep FC at shock level as much of the time as you can. It is all here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Just took the solar cover off and I am speachless. My water is as clear as I have ever seen it. I just added all of my pool toys for cleaning since the fc is at 22. (Its dropped because I have left the cover off during the day). I had doubt with the formula of a 30 fc but it did wonders. Only took 7 gallons of shock. I found out that my pool store sells cases of shock for less that $4 a gallon. I just hope I killed it all for good. Thank you guys so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.