Liquidator Function

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, tx
I am probably getting ahead of myselft here...I just found TFP about a week ago and have not even started my first SLAM yet, but I have been reading a lot and the Liquidator is intriguing.

I wanted to see if someone could give me the quick version of how automated it really is.

I am assuming you should still test your water daily, correct?
Once you get things "dialed in" how often do you need to add bleach?
If you are going on vacation for a couple of weeks could the liquidator do the job without having to add any extra "pucks"?

Thanks

The LQ tends to inject chlorine very accurately so it is not mandatory to test daily once it is dialed in.

You add bleach as often as it needs. We have no real idea of your FC consumption but a typical pool is 2-3 PPM daily.

Two weeks is a long time to leave a pool. Assuming nothing malfunctions, it certainly can work.

Your pool is likely too big for a Liquidator to make much sense ... and no way it will last a few weeks.

You have to consider that you need to add 2-3ppm of FC daily. Use PoolMath to see how much bleach that is and you will see that your would need a very large container to hold that much bleach for a few weeks.

A peristaltic pump might be more flexible if you can get a large enough vessel to hold the bleach.

What kind of pump do you have? Please add more pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Given that you have a 30,000 gallon pool I wouldn't recommend the LQ (liquidator). The largest model only holds 8 gallons of bleach and if you were lucky enough to only lose ~2ppm per day that'd be almost a gallon a day so you'd be filling it up at least weekly. Also if you have a VS or 2-speed pump, the LQ can have a problem operating at low speeds.

An injection pump with a larger tank would be a better option for your pool.

I would say your pool is a little too big. Also your feed rate will change. As your filter pressure goes up the suction will go down. The next best thing other than a SWCG would be a stenner pump. That will give you a set feed everyday.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Personally I do think you could get away with a Liquidator, but I will not argue if it's a better choice. As you can see from my signature, my pool is around the same size as yours and I have successfully managed my pools' chlorine with a Liquidator for two full seasons (this is my third) here in the New England. In these two season I have never had an algae outbreak nor have I had to SLAM my pool. I have gone up to eight days between refills without problems and believe that I could have stretched it to 10 days if needed. I do use 12.5% chlorine which obviously helps with stretching out the time between refills. Fortunately I can get 12.5% for $2.99 a gallon which is the best value that I can find around here.
As for you questions, once I get the Liquidator dial in, I can go several days without testing, although I do try to test FC and ph daily. Generally I don't load up my liquidator unless I know that I will be gone for longer than a week, preferring to store my chlorine in the basement where it is relatively cool. So this means I added two or three gallons every 3 or 4 days.

I do have a single speed pump, so dialing in the feed rate is relatively simple. I'm sure a variable speed pump would be more of a challenge to dial in, although if there is a consistent daily run schedule then I believe it is doable. It's true that the feed rate will change with pump pressure changes, but I found that following the TFP method, my pump pressure doesn't really change that much. All you need to do is to monitor your FC regularly and adjust the flow rate accordingly.

So if we assume the 2 to 3 ppm daily FC loss rate that was suggested by Dave and 30k gallon pool, that would mean that you would need somewhere between 61 and 93 oz of 12.5% chlorine per day. Given this chlorine demand an eight gallon Liquidator could go 11 to 16 days without refill, although I would suggest that you stay to the lower side of this range. Now since you do have an auto cover, I would assume that your pool is covered while you are away and therefore without direct sunlight would hold FC better. This will result in your losses being closer to the 2 ppm, maybe even less and therefore making your two week vacation possible.

Great feedback, thanks.

The Liquidator may not be the best answer for my pool. I'll have to do some more reading on the Stenner Pump. The SWG has always intrigued me but every pool person I talk to around here tells me I will regret it. They said I will always be replacing it and it will ruin my travertine.

I also need to find some stronger chlorine. The best I have found so far is 10% at Leslie's, but it ends up being the most expensive. The cheapest I have found so far is Aldi's 8.25%.

I'm late to the party but I have the 4 gallon LQ and love it. My pool is small and I have a single speed pump and I have not had to afford the LQ feed rate in more than a month. I had to bump it up a little when the remote started hitting the 90s. I am adding about five gallons of 10% chlorine each month. Before the LQ, I tested FC and PH almost daily. Now, I test everything once per week, Chlorine is always spot on. I have no complaints about the LQ. Best $117 I have spent in a long time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm late to the party but I have the 4 gallon LQ and love it. My pool is small and I have a single speed pump and I have not had to afford the LQ feed rate in more than a month. I had to bump it up a little when the remote started hitting the 90s. I am adding about five gallons of 10% chlorine each month. Before the LQ, I tested FC and PH almost daily. Now, I test everything once per week, Chlorine is always spot on. I have no complaints about the LQ. Best $117 I have spent in a long time.

Where did you find it for $117? I have been seeing much higher prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Go with the cheapest 8.25% you can find. Check date code if you are able to or purchase from a store that turns it over frequently. There is alot of discussion on forum about using stronger % vs degradation.

Where have you been able to find the cheapest 8.25% in Houston? Aldi is the cheapest I have found so far.

f3justusc has the 4 gallon version of the Liquidator. With your size pool you are going to need the 8 gallon version.

Go with the cheapest 8.25% you can find. Check date code if you are able to or purchase from a store that turns it over frequently. There is alot of discussion on forum about using stronger % vs degradation.
Buy it fresh and just enough to last around a month, store it in a cool place and degradation is not much of a factor. Check this thread

I'll give you the quick and dirty with the Liquidator... I have (had) one... The concept behind the unit is AWESOME... however, the components are cheap and don't hold up. If somebody made the same idea but with quality components... it would take the industry by storm. I just converted from the Liquidator to a Stenner system (today it the first day of having in on)... so I don't know how it'll hold up compared to the Liquidator.

- - - Updated - - -

Where have you been able to find the cheapest 8.25% in Houston? Aldi is the cheapest I have found so far.

I got a 4 gallon at USA pool pros and with a coupon code, I paid $117 shipped. As soon as they got my order and realized their loss, they raised the price but they were still cheaper than anywhere else.
Above Ground Swimming Pools, Packages, Pool Supplies, and Saunas

Hasa Pool The Liquidator 8 Gallon Standard | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you the quick and dirty with the Liquidator... I have (had) one... The concept behind the unit is AWESOME... however, the components are cheap and don't hold up. If somebody made the same idea but with quality components... it would take the industry by storm. I just converted from the Liquidator to a Stenner system (today it the first day of having in on)... so I don't know how it'll hold up compared to the Liquidator.

The Liquidator has a lifetime warranty on everything except the tank. I have nothing vested either way, just sayin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.