LED Pool Lights

Looking to replace my pool lights during my drain/refill with LEDs. Since it is contained in a wet niche that I assume is supposed to be a waterproof housing, can I use any PAR38 LED floodlight - or does it have to be a specific LED light for the pool? Price difference is $29.99 for a 1450 lumen outdoor weatherproof light or $70 - 500 for a pentair/hayward LED light specifically labeled for pools. Has anyone gone through this decision yet? Am I doing something very taboo in the pool world, or am I overthinking this simple switch.

FYI - the original niche calls for an R40. In my research, I learned that R40 is old bulb technology and that PAR38 creates a more efficient light discharge. Par38 diameter is a little smaller than R40 so no problem with fit. I assume the base is the same - medium E26.

Thanks in advance.

Inside the watertight housing I really can't see the difference between a "pool" bulb and a regular one, except the pool bulb may be brighter. When I opened mine to replace a burned out bulb I found that the previous owner of the house had just installed a regular floodlight bulb.

Follow all the normal safety precautions, breaker off while working on it and most manufacturers recommend replacing the gasket between the housing and lens. While you are at it, make sure the circuit for the light is on a GFCI.

Inside the watertight housing I really can't see the difference between a "pool" bulb and a regular one, except the pool bulb may be brighter. When I opened mine to replace a burned out bulb I found that the previous owner of the house had just installed a regular floodlight bulb.

Follow all the normal safety precautions, breaker off while working on it and most manufacturers recommend replacing the gasket between the housing and lens. While you are at it, make sure the circuit for the light is on a GFCI.

Thanks Tim. I ended up returning the "Pool" rated LED bulb (it was only 1400 lumens) and ordered a $30 regular weather-rather LED flood light with a 2200 lumen and 22W spec'd. Went ahead and ordered the gasket too as advised.

Thanks for the input. I haven't seen anyone respond with a red flag or expanded explanation, so I am guessing there is no harm in using a non-pool specific bulb.

If its a watertight housing it shouldn't make a difference. As long as you aren't producing heat that would cause problems (and if you are going from a traditional Halogen to an LED then you definately won't have heat issues) you should be fine. As long as it the proper size/wattage you should be fine speaking from a electrical standpoint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.