Why does this forum recommend FC higher than what is recommended on testing kits?

Science. There has been a LOT to science put to use to find the levels used here. If you read the deeper end you will find all kinds to posts about the hows and why.

I do KNOW that the levels work! My pool has been clear since the day I put it up and added water due to TFP levels.

Kim

See also the "Chlorine/CYA Relationship" section of the thread Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught.

Because of FIFRA regulations the EPA enforces regarding pesticide product labeling, they will not allow any pesticide product to specify a higher dosed FC level than the 4 ppm that is the limit in EPA Drinking Water Contaminants standards. Nevertheless, commercial/public pools are regulated by state (and sometimes county) codes as with 5 ppm in New York (see 6.11(c)(1) and also note (4) which bans use of CYA), 8 ppm in Texas (see table on last page), and 10 ppm in Florida (see 64E-9.004(1)(d)(2)) that all exceed EPA limits.

The active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level in pools at the recommended minimum FC for non-SWCG pools where the FC is roughly 7.5% of the CYA level is equivalent to a pool with only 0.06 ppm FC and no CYA. So comparing a pool with CYA to one without is like comparing apples and oranges. The way to look at it is that pools or spas with no CYA are usually hugely over-chlorinated because they have no CYA to moderate chlorine's strength. The effects are noticeable on swimsuits, skin, and hair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.