Pressure Change

CLW42

May 8, 2014
Merrimac, MA
I wasn't sure if I should piggy back on someone else's thread or start a new one.

I have a Hayward DE3620. My typical pressure over the last two years (age of the pool and equipment) been been between 12psi and 16psi, 16 being when I backwash and recharge with 80% of DE required. This year, I noticed that the norm had jumped to between 14psi and 16psi with a backwash coming at around 20/21psi. On Sunday I noticed it had jumped to about 24psi. No clue what happened, but I figured maybe it was time to clean the grids. I took to the site and to Youtube and decided I would hose down the grids in the canister without removing them. I got them basically looking new. I backwashed the filter and rinsed one more time before going to filter just to get the remaining crud out. Fired up the filter and now my new norm, all clean and not charged is 14psi. I charged it with the full 4.5 lbs. since the grids were clean and now I'm running a new norm of 17psi. Does that make any sense? Is there a possible reason for the jump in pressure? Everything seems to be working normally as far as I can tell.

Thoughts?

Only reason for the pressure to rise is if the pump is now moving more flow (doubtful) or the grids are clogged.

Did the grids feel stiff? Was the water able to quickly drain out of them?
I was never able to get all the DE of the grids without pulling them apart: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

You may need to soak them as well. Have you read: Use and Care of DE Filters

Only reason for the pressure to rise is if the pump is now moving more flow (doubtful) or the grids are clogged.

Did the grids feel stiff? Was the water able to quickly drain out of them?
I was never able to get all the DE of the grids without pulling them apart: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

You may need to soak them as well. Have you read: Use and Care of DE Filters

I'll be honest, I didn't think there was all that much DE on them when I opened it up. There were some clumps near the top, but the grids themselves weren't too bad. They weren't overly stiff or anything, as far as I could tell. Like I said they were almost pure whit when I was done. Is it possible that something maybe clogged the header? Not sure how that would happen as I have all my baskets in place. If it's nothing to be too concerned with then I'll just wait until the end of the season and break it down.

get a very fancy oil-filled one from tftestkits.net for 11 bucks.

I didn't realize they sold them. I was looking on Amazon, but haven't purchased yet, so I will definitely get one from tft. Thanks!

Did you happen to adjust your return eyeballs sometime before you noticed the pressure increase?

Interesting that you mention the eyeball. I have the one's that are all one piece, so they don't 'lock' in place. I've found that they're rotating on their own and I have to adjust them frequently. Does that have any impact on the pressure seen on the filter gauge?

Yes, for my pool the size of the eyeball openings has a big effect on the pressure required to push water thru them. I was surprised when I first noticed the effect, but it makes sense when you think about it. Rotating the eyeball so there is less opening is just like putting a restriction in the line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.