Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weekly Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Weekly Shock

Hello,
    I have a 36,000 gallon inground pool.
    My local store is recommending a weekly treatment of 3lbs of Bioguard Smartshock for maintenance.
    Does anyone know if this is necessary or if there is a cheaper alternative that people use on a weekly basis?

PH 7.5
    TA 110
    CL .4 ppm
    CYA 4 0ppm
    25,000 gallon rectangle in ground. 8' deep end.
    Hayward S-200 200# sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weekly Shock

The least expensive solution is to stop going to that pool store and just get what you need at WalMart.

As a member here for a couple of years, it's time to go back to Pool School. Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

A properly balanced and chlorinated pool never needs to be "shocked"
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL Don't do it! Of *course* they're recommending it- you'll have to BUY it from someone (them, they hope!)

How's your pool looking? Do you do your own testing?? We don't give much credence to anything pool stores say as their bottom line is sales, ours is *care*. Our way is a LOT cheaper too~
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, it really depends if you are planning to follow the pool store recommendations or going to invest the time in learning what we teach and follow the TFP methods.

We TFPer's never do a weekly "shock" like that because we always maintain adequate FC levels that are a function of the CYA. See the FC/CYA Chart.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

What we do is cheaper almost without exception. Get a good kit, test it yourself and you'll be a believer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

My FC is at about 1 ppm.
    Thats why i was wondering if i need to add bioguard weekly even if all of the chlorine, ph, alkalinity etc values were good.
    Thanks for the advice.
    25,000 gallon rectangle in ground. 8' deep end.
    Hayward S-200 200# sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Everyone here may not agree with me, but I have not found a reason to shock my pool in over two years. Even after a party, my CC have never been above .5ppm.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by smracing View Post
    Everyone here may not agree with me, but I have not found a reason to shock my pool in over two years. Even after a party, my CC have never been above .5ppm.
    No, we all pretty much agree with that. Regular shocking is not a part of TFPC. SLAM (not 'shocking') is needed of you have a problem, but maintaining a proper FC/CYA ratio is in and of itself enough to prevent problems.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by duke0031 View Post
    My FC is at about 1 ppm.
    Thats why i was wondering if i need to add bioguard weekly even if all of the chlorine, ph, alkalinity etc values were good.
    Thanks for the advice.
    What test kit are you using to determine this?

If your CYA is truly at 40ppm, and FC is truly at 1ppm you are already in trouble. For a CYA of 40ppm your FC MINIMUM is 3ppm, with a target of 5ppm.

I target CYA at 40ppm, and never let my FC drop below 5ppm.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Your FC is not low because you did not "shock" the pool. It's low because you are not maintaining the proper FC level.

As everyone has mentioned, if you follow the guidelines here you should never have to shock your pool, but if things should go green, no worries, we will get you through it with a proper S.L.A.M.

Don't trust the pool stores. I did for two years & ended up with a green pool both years. Now that I follow TFPC the pool is absolutely beautiful, and at a very minimal cost.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Duke, your last reply (FC of 1 ppm) is extremely low which is what would be the driving factor in your water changing to green/cloudy. Bioguard, or any other product for that matter, is simply a fancy-named, high-cost application to try and "Band-Aid" fix a fundamental problem - ensuring your FC level correlates to your existing CYA level. See the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below to se for yourself.

As mentioned already, you won't truly know your FC and CYA levels unless you make the small investment for a TF-100 test kit (Link also below). If you rely on the pool store to fix your pool (even testing), you will more than likely have a very frustrating pool season. We hope you will give TFP a try. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!