New user old pool owner

Hi all, I just ran across the forum while searching for solutions to grit on my pool floor. I have owned a pool close to 15 years and have never used chlorine. I have been an avid used of Baquacil Chemicals. I guess I'm just lucky because I have had little trouble staying balanced. I live in Seviverville Tennessee and have a 24' above ground pool. I hope to move to an IG soon (next year or so depending on finances). I'm here to learn so here we go.

What one of the two recommended test kits cost is far cheaper than putting extra costly unnecessary chemicals in the pool. I have the TF-100 kit.

My pool costs less than $100 a year to care for (and that's being generous) and its never had cloudiness or algae. That includes some supplemental jugs of bleach (I have a SWG), test kit refills, some CYA and salt maybe.

I attribute this to my test kit- tells me what I have and Pool Math tells me what little I might need.

What one of the two recommended test kits cost is far cheaper than putting extra costly unnecessary chemicals in the pool. I have the TF-100 kit.

My pool costs less than $100 a year to care for (and that's being generous) and its never had cloudiness or algae. That includes some supplemental jugs of bleach (I have a SWG), test kit refills, some CYA and salt maybe.

I attribute this to my test kit- tells me what I have and Pool Math tells me what little I might need.

I spent more than that yesterday on maintenance Dose chemicals. will this kit work with my Baquacil or is it used if I convert to cl? I read on here it is a process to convert that my need to wait till fall. I have never ever used anything but Baquacil so this is all new.

I spent more than that yesterday on maintenance Dose chemicals. will this kit work with my Baquacil or is it used if I convert to cl? I read on here it is a process to convert that my need to wait till fall. I have never ever used anything but Baquacil so this is all new.

I'm sorry, I don't have any first hand experience with Baqucil, but most folks who come here do so because they want to switch over. The conversions are fun to watch in pictures because of the colors (like a bad trip dude, lol).

But I don't know anyone here still using it. Perhaps they'll chime in?

Welcome Firefighter! Here's a couple things that may help:
- The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. See (TF-100 Link below)
- Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Glad to have you with us!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After re-reading the Baquacil link HERE, I didn't see any specific time frame to wait. Maybe another user who has personally done it will confirm. As the article says, have lots of bleach ready. :)

As for posting ... You can just post your results back to this same thread if you would like. If you prefer to create a new thread specifying "Baquacil Conversion" in the title for better visibility, I would suggest posting it to the "Testing and Balancing Your Water" forum.

Welcome, I converted from baquacil to TFP methods. I am very pleased with the results. The conversion may try your patience ... but hang in there the results are well worth it. My pool is sparkly clean, easy to maintain and I understand what I am doing. Not liken being a zombie and going to the pool store like ...what do I need....here is my credit card.

Your conversion may differ from other Baq conversions. Follow Texas Splash link. Then read up in the forum Forum: Baquacil - Use and Conversion. You will not be disappointed.

Get your Ph to the 7.2 range, find a source of liquid chlorine (you will need a lot for the conversion but not alot after that.)

I also have the TF-100 kit. Suggest you get the XL option for the conversion.

Here are some links.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

SLAMing Your Pool