Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New user old pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New user old pool owner

Hi all, I just ran across the forum while searching for solutions to grit on my pool floor. I have owned a pool close to 15 years and have never used chlorine. I have been an avid used of Baquacil Chemicals. I guess I'm just lucky because I have had little trouble staying balanced. I live in Seviverville Tennessee and have a 24' above ground pool. I hope to move to an IG soon (next year or so depending on finances). I'm here to learn so here we go.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New user old pool owner

Welcome!

Glad you're here!

Jump in anyplace, the waters fine
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess my first jump will be in the testing department. I see everyone agrees strips are useless. I have trusted a local supplier but I think I want to do my own if it affordable.
    pool is an AG (above ground) 24' round 15500 gl /Sand filter, Deramworks by Hayward 100#/ Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump runs 24/7 and until this year 365/ pool installed in 2004 new liner in 2011/ none- in store testing Baquacil/ Zodiac Ranger suction Cleaner /water supplied from a well.

4. Back To Top    #4

What one of the two recommended test kits cost is far cheaper than putting extra costly unnecessary chemicals in the pool. I have the TF-100 kit.

My pool costs less than $100 a year to care for (and that's being generous) and its never had cloudiness or algae. That includes some supplemental jugs of bleach (I have a SWG), test kit refills, some CYA and salt maybe.

I attribute this to my test kit- tells me what I have and Pool Math tells me what little I might need.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    What one of the two recommended test kits cost is far cheaper than putting extra costly unnecessary chemicals in the pool. I have the TF-100 kit.

My pool costs less than $100 a year to care for (and that's being generous) and its never had cloudiness or algae. That includes some supplemental jugs of bleach (I have a SWG), test kit refills, some CYA and salt maybe.

I attribute this to my test kit- tells me what I have and Pool Math tells me what little I might need.
    I spent more than that yesterday on maintenance Dose chemicals. will this kit work with my Baquacil or is it used if I convert to cl? I read on here it is a process to convert that my need to wait till fall. I have never ever used anything but Baquacil so this is all new.
    pool is an AG (above ground) 24' round 15500 gl /Sand filter, Deramworks by Hayward 100#/ Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump runs 24/7 and until this year 365/ pool installed in 2004 new liner in 2011/ none- in store testing Baquacil/ Zodiac Ranger suction Cleaner /water supplied from a well.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter5140 View Post
    I spent more than that yesterday on maintenance Dose chemicals. will this kit work with my Baquacil or is it used if I convert to cl? I read on here it is a process to convert that my need to wait till fall. I have never ever used anything but Baquacil so this is all new.
    I'm sorry, I don't have any first hand experience with Baqucil, but most folks who come here do so because they want to switch over. The conversions are fun to watch in pictures because of the colors (like a bad trip dude, lol).

But I don't know anyone here still using it. Perhaps they'll chime in?

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome Firefighter! Here's a couple things that may help:
    - The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. See (TF-100 Link below)
    - Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Glad to have you with us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Guys thanks for the help I guess I'll be moving to a new forum I just purchased my first test kit and toys. By by baquacil

9. Back To Top    #9

Good for you! Once you receive your kit, post those numbers and we'll get you hooked-up. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

One last thing, how long after my last baquacil should I wait to start converting and which forum should I post my numbers. I expecting 0 chlorine but my ph should be close to 7.2-7.4
    Last edited by firefighter5140; 06-17-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Wrong number

11. Back To Top    #11

After re-reading the Baquacil link HERE, I didn't see any specific time frame to wait. Maybe another user who has personally done it will confirm. As the article says, have lots of bleach ready.

As for posting ... You can just post your results back to this same thread if you would like. If you prefer to create a new thread specifying "Baquacil Conversion" in the title for better visibility, I would suggest posting it to the "Testing and Balancing Your Water" forum.

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome, I converted from baquacil to TFP methods. I am very pleased with the results. The conversion may try your patience ... but hang in there the results are well worth it. My pool is sparkly clean, easy to maintain and I understand what I am doing. Not liken being a zombie and going to the pool store like ...what do I need....here is my credit card.

Your conversion may differ from other Baq conversions. Follow Texas Splash link. Then read up in the forum Forum: Baquacil - Use and Conversion. You will not be disappointed.

Get your Ph to the 7.2 range, find a source of liquid chlorine (you will need a lot for the conversion but not alot after that.)

I also have the TF-100 kit. Suggest you get the XL option for the conversion.

Here are some links.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

SLAMing Your Pool
    20,000 gal, 18 x 36 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward 2610x152S two speed, Sta-Rite S870 sand filter, Raypak 265,000 BTU P-R26A-EP-C, TF-100 Test Kit