Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scupper/Bubbler/Pump plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Scupper/Bubbler/Pump plumbing

Hey there! We finally signed the dotted line and our pool build starts as soon as permits clear!

Since this is my first pool and my first pool build (scary), I have a dilemma that I need some experienced expertise in. My pool will have 3 scuppers and 2 bubblers. I am getting the iAquaLink-PS4, which will control 4 items (pump, polaris, LED lights, and scuppers). The standard way my pb plums bubblers is with the rest of the returns, i.e., if the pump is running, the bubblers are going. Besides this raising PH, I just don't want that. There is a valve at the equip-pad that I can turn on/off the bubblers, so that is good, but I could instead run the bubblers WITH the scuppers. i.e., scuppers/bubblers on, or both off (controlled with iLink). Of course I can still manually control bubblers and shut them off so just the scuppers are on, but I would not be able to have just bubblers on.

The Question: should I connect the bubblers with the rest of the returns, or connect with the scuppers.

note: it is $500 more to upgrade to the PS6 and add the actuator so I could control each independantly )I think), but I am already $4000 over budget because of 'little' $500 upgrades and changes... so the buck stopped.

Gallacher, Keith4_003.jpg
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scupper/Bubbler/Pump plumbing

Just me personally, in our pool I have the option to control our out-going water to either the return jets and/or waterfall. Since bubblers and scuppers fall into more of that "aesthetically pleasing" side as opposed to the functionality of the return jets, I might tend to keep them separate - jets separate from the scuppers/bubblers - or at least have the ability to separate with a valve. That's just me. Perhaps your builder might even be able to install yet another valve to specifically control scuppers and bubbles separately? .... at a cost of course.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

UPDATE: apparently there was some miscommunication with the sales guy. Talked with the PM and clarified that although they do recommend the bubblers run with the jets, they will have a manual valve, so I can shut them off if I want. Also the jets will always be on when pump is on, so the actuator does not divert the water top the scuppers, it just opens that gate, so between the actuator and the manual valve, I could actually just have bubblers on, or just scuppers, or both.

That works.
    About to build an in-ground free-from gunite pool in the back yard (no spa). Currently estimated at 19,000 gallons. Likely going with a SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

That sounds much better. Glad to hear you got clarification. Best of luck on your build. Hope to see some pics later. Enjoy!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have bubblers on my beach shelve ( work with pool return only ) but PB installed nozzles that shoot to the sides rather then straight up. They are adjustable and allow me to point them to direct flow of the water on shelve. This keeps my shelve clean since pool cleaner will not go up on shelve!
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

6. Back To Top    #6

my pb said the same thing -- the bubbler will keep deck clean!