Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa size 7 or 8 ft

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa size 7 or 8 ft

without having one now pros-cons? seems some builders do 7 ft others 8 ft. What did you do?
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Spa size 7 or 8 ft

There is little difference, probably not even 100 gallons depending on configurations. I'd go with 8...7 will get tight with more than 3-4 people.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

More importantly, I would recommend having a return loop separate from the spa jets. When you want to heat the spa or during normal day to day filtration, you can do so without all the aeration from the jets which will contribute to pH rise.

I personally don't like the spa jets anyway and I just run the pump at a low enough speed that the jets do not operate.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

I took the advice from others on here to to lay it out on the ground using a rope (or similar) and a tape measure. Then place some chairs inside and have people sit around in it to get a feel for how crowded it will be. It really just depends on how many people you expect to normally use it at a time and how spaced out you like it without knees or feet touching each other.

I ended up with a 9' x 7' oval shape and while we have only had 4 people in it so far, I believe it would hold 7 quite comfortably....maybe more if not for a step we added on the bench.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Our spa is 7' round. I was concerned it wouldn't be large enough since I've seen so many people with larger spas. But now that we've had the gunite for about 2 months, it seems much larger than we need. I'm glad we didn't go larger. Maybe I'll feel differently once we're actually using it with water, etc.

Primarily, it depends on your use of it and how many people you expect to have. We have a small circle of friends, so for us, it's plenty large. Now, if all these TFP-ers come visit, I might have some serious regrets!!!!! LOL!!!! (just throwing in a different view....). Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

thank you for the input!
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a 9' octagon spa which is great because its like a mini pool. We close our pool in late September and will keep the spa going until the freezing temps start to get crazy in December. One thing you may consider is different height benches. We have one side about 2.5-3 inches higher for shorter people to sit.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

I would go 8. We always had a bunch of adults and kids in the spa. It wasn't very therapeutic, but it sure was fun!
    Building 20x40 free-form pool; pebble sheen, caretaker in floor, swg, intelliflo pump, heater. Sundance 800 spa happily in use. More to come!