Trouble de-clouding Salter water Intex pool

Jun 7, 2015
Nashville TN
We have had the salt water system in line with our pump for about three weeks now. We shocked the pool. It got clear but has slowly gotten cloudy. Testing the pool the chlorine looks fine. but the alkalinity and PH are low.
What should I do next - I don't hardly trust the kids at the pool stores. If id shock it how long afterwards is it safe to get into the water again?? My grandson is visiting and of course the pool is a big thing for him. It's a 4x8' pool.

Welcome to TFP! You're absolutely right to not trust the store testing for several reasons (experience, busy, business tactics, etc). Please understand the TFP method does not simply "shock" or "super-chlorinate" a pool as typically advised by the local pool store. We do what's called "SLAM". SLAM is significantly different than an overnight “spike” in chlorine, and can take a few days (perhaps even a week or two) to properly complete. The recommended test kit is extremely important to properly conduct a SLAM. (links below)

I would recommend you ordering the TF-100 test kit and posting us a full set of results ASAP. From there we can give you some great advise and YOU will be in charge of your pool.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, based on the size of this pool, you might like to consider reading the following link about smaller, seasonal pools: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

I'm betting there is no stabilizer - CYA - in that water, so the SWG couldn't keep up with the sunlight attacks on the chlorine. Then the FC dropped too low and algae took hold.

Is this pool really only 4' X 8' ? If so, It's p[robably easiest to drain it and start over. Just scrub it with bleach water as it drains down.

If it's too big to drain, you need to SLAM, and to SLAM, you need a proper test kit. You already have the pH tester, so the TF50 would get you up to speed.

The kit you linked to is not one of the TFP recommended kits. It won't have everything you need. You need the Taylor k2006 or better value tf-100.

If you have the pH test already then like Richard said you could probably just get the tf-50 that he linked to.

Here's a link to compare the different kits.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

I have the TF-100 and that's what I always recommend. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.