Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump Noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump Noise

I am considering a Stenner model 45MPHP10 fixed rate pump. How noisy are they? Will it be louder than a typical filter pump?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump Noise

The fixed rate pumps are pretty quiet. I can't even tell mine is running unless I'm right near it, and it's no where as loud as the main pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Bama that the fixed rate pump is pretty quiet. I have a VS pool pump running at 1600 RPM. Both pumps make about the same level of noise, however, the pool pump is fairly quiet at 1600 rpm but its noise is constant. The stenner on the other hand is modulated due to the three compression zones per single rotation of the pump. So if I standing within about 5-10 feet I can hear both pumps. Noise is not an issue with either a VS pool pump or fixed rate stenner.
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. Since my pool equipment is about 15' from my property line, I just wanted to make sure that the Stenner doesn't make any more noise than my existing VS pump.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

5. Back To Top    #5

Variable rate stenners do make a clicking sound when turned down. I don't find it annoying but it may be a reason to go with a fixed rate pump.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub