Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost benefit analysis!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost benefit analysis!

Has anyone else done a cost comparison?? I was stunned!!!

I use MS Money to track finances and I break down pool expenses by parts/repairs/improvements (like my Intermatic Pool Timer) and chemicals. Just ran reports for pool chemical spending since 2009.

2009 - $529.18 (pool store only)
    2010 - $508.81 (pool store only)
    2011 - $599.54 (pool store only)
    2012 - $553.63 (pool store only)
    2013 - $511.58 (switched to TFPC in mid-July)
    2014 - $260.87 (Not a typo!!)
    2015 - $141.89 (so far, including the TF Test Kit refill!)

We typically have our pool open April-October. Never really saw it in black and white, but that's about half!
    Built March 2006 - 26k gallon, Pacific Pools 18'x36' Roman end vinyl liner, 8' Roman steps one end, Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair Pinnacle 1HP pump, Pentair Letro 3/4HP pressure side booster, Pentair Letro Legend Platinum cleaner, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400LP, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Added April 2013 - Intermatic PE15300 (1353ME timer & 4243ME switch, PE650 transceiver, PE953 remote, PA122 temp sensor)
    TF-100 XL w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost benefit analysis!

That certainly is a great testament and makes it very clear when you see the numbers
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is excellent, and a great visual for anyone who still needs convincing that the TFP method is a money saver. Whilst I don't track our pool expenses quite like you do, I can say that so far this year we're at about $86, which includes $46 for shipping a SWG cell back for testing.

Thanks for posting this SickPup404
    10.5K IG gunnite pool with micro-pebble finish in Caribbean blue with Baja step. Haywood main filter with Perry's Pool Pump 1hp motor. Jandy CL-340 cartridge filter. Circupool RJ30 SWG system. TF100 test kit with Speedstir. Floating beer cooler.

4. Back To Top    #4

My wife laughs at me when I do stuff like that .... until it works-out in our favor by showing us where we made mistakes. That is some sound information. Thanks for sharing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I imagine that the 2013 cost included the TF-100 test kit and maybe even a SLAM to clear up the pool store mess? Which would explain why it was not a bit lower after finding us.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Money left over for beer and pool toys!
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I nominate this for a sticky until about... August. So we can find it fast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I experienced similar results after switching to the TFP method.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

LI Pool Guy, my thoughts exactly!!

jblizzle, I'm pretty sure you're right about it including the kit and the SLAM.

And Texas Splash, I think my wife went to the same school of snickering!

Glad it has helped some of you as much help as I've gotten from here!
    Built March 2006 - 26k gallon, Pacific Pools 18'x36' Roman end vinyl liner, 8' Roman steps one end, Sand Dollar SD80 filter, Pentair Pinnacle 1HP pump, Pentair Letro 3/4HP pressure side booster, Pentair Letro Legend Platinum cleaner, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400LP, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Added April 2013 - Intermatic PE15300 (1353ME timer & 4243ME switch, PE650 transceiver, PE953 remote, PA122 temp sensor)
    TF-100 XL w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by LI poolguy View Post
    Money left over for beer and pool toys!
    I am pretty sure beer counts as a pool toy (the best pool toy)
    No pool, i am just here to help.